Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cream ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
drewlooker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cream ale

I've been working on a cream ale, I have never had a cream ale so I'm but confused what I should be looking for. I just opened the first bottle one week into bottle conditioning.. Carb is great and it looks and taste just like hoegaarden. Would that be accurate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What yeast did you use?

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Hoegaarden is a spiced wheat beer unless they also make a cream ale style?

Cream ales should be light tasting, dry, perhaps a hint of fruitiness and often they contain flaked corn and/or rice. Essentially a cream ale is an ale version of a lager in taste, body and appearance.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
drewlooker
Recipes 

Yea it tasted and looked just like a wheat beer. Slightly sweet with a flightless fruity smell.. I like hoegaarden so I can't complain but from what my homebrew store told me I was thinking something different

Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
drewlooker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd
What yeast did you use?
I can't remember the yeast.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewlooker
I've been working on a cream ale, I have never had a cream ale so I'm but confused what I should be looking for. I just opened the first bottle one week into bottle conditioning.. Carb is great and it looks and taste just like hoegaarden. Would that be accurate?
Not really... Hoeggarden is a Belgian white wheat brewed with coriander and orange (or lemon... Can't remember). It has slightly cloudy appearance due to the wheat, and a light, citrusy flavor.

A cream ale should be light and easy to drink. It typically has a clean flavor and clear appearance. Not brewed with citrus or spices. I suppose yours may have a citrus aroma/flavor depending on the hops you used. They are different categories in the bjcp guidelines, and should have characteristic differences.

This being said, there are many overlaps between styles and their flavors/aromas/etc. most important thing here, is that you enjoy what you made!

For a example of a cream ale, I think gennessee brewery makes a great one, and its fairly well distributed. Not sure where you're located as I'm on my phone app.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
drewlooker
Recipes 

What could I have done wrong to make it so cloudy and not crisp ? The brewshop guy told me it should be similar to a budwiser but im way off

Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewlooker
What could I have done wrong to make it so cloudy and not crisp ? The brewshop guy told me it should be similar to a budwiser but im way off
If it has only bottled conditioned for one week, that could explain the cloudiness. With time in refrigerator it should clear up nicely. As for the fruitiness, my guess would be a high fermentation temperature. It's hard to say not knowing which yeast you used and the fermentation temp you had.

Quick Reply