New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Crappy beer vendors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts

sub'd to keep an eye on this. Hope you can work this out and don't get shafted!

http://justgetrealweightloss.com My blog: How I lost 15lbs in 30 Days, and more!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
the75
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
sub'd to keep an eye on this. Hope you can work this out and don't get shafted!
Thanks. I'm hoping it gets worked out too. It's partially my fault for going ahead with him prior to getting an EXACT list of everything included in the price, but everytime I asked him questions like "How much tubing comes with it?" or "How many QDs & what kinds come with it?", he'd respond with, "Whatever you need, I can get it for you, we'll work it out". He was mister indirect with all my questions. One of the text messages that he actually responded to during the build I asked, "Are the burners Natural Gas or Low Pressure/Liquefied Petroleum?" Simple question right? His response... "LP is propane"
On another occasion, I asked him if the gas tube is 1/2" threaded or raw tubing. His response: "female end"

All this happened after he had my deposit, so again, I was stuck between a rock & a hard place. Again, the stand was welded well (he told me that a family member welds the stands & he adds onto them), but the workmanship left something to be desired. The burners aren't centered, but I'm planning on automating the system & I will fix that as well. I saved A LOT of money compared to what this would have cost through Morebeer, but you get what you pay for I guess. In his last email, he stated that he barely makes anything on the stands & that he's going to stop selling them soon. Probably because everyone complains about the issues I've mentioned.

Here's what the ENTIRE issue has boiled down to: 8-10 feet of silicone tubing. I told him that if he sends me 8-10 feet of silicone tubing, I'll be happy. I can make two 4-5 foot sections & my brewday will be that much easier. I know I'm not asking for much, but with his first email response accusing me of trying to work him for more product, I'll bet he shoots himself in the foot by denying my request. At which time, I'll share his name on this site as well as all the pictures to show everyone what I'm talking about.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I own a machine shop in Oceanside. I had entertained the thought of providing custom, turnkey, non automated rigs engineered for novice and intermediate brewers. I am curious to see what you feel is shoddy about the stand you purchased. If you don't want to share pics, how about some beer?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
the75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I own a machine shop in Oceanside. I had entertained the thought of providing custom, turnkey, non automated rigs engineered for novice and intermediate brewers. I am curious to see what you feel is shoddy about the stand you purchased. If you don't want to share pics, how about some beer?
I'd be more than happy to share some beer! My main issue with his workmanship is that the pumps aren't secured tight to the stand itself & the burners are off center. The pumps have a 3" X 3" mounting bracket attached with 4 screw holes about 2 & 3/4" apart. The stand itself is 1 & 1/2" SS tubing. Obviously, there's no way to use all 4 mounting holes, unless something additional was attached to the SS tubing. He tried using 2 of the screw holes. The screws don't go down all the way & they started to strip when he attempted to tighten them up after I pointed out the missing screw & the wiggle. The pumps still wiggle, so I'll have to try & secure them some other way. He did a good job on securing the gas lines, so at least that's a plus. I could have bought the stainless stand alone & done the attaching of gas lines & pumps myself, but he told me that he does about 3-4 of these a month, so I paid the extra costs to have it done right.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by the75 View Post
I'd be more than happy to share some beer! My main issue with his workmanship is that the pumps aren't secured tight to the stand itself & the burners are off center. The pumps have a 3" X 3" mounting bracket attached with 4 screw holes about 2 & 3/4" apart. The stand itself is 1 & 1/2" SS tubing. Obviously, there's no way to use all 4 mounting holes, unless something additional was attached to the SS tubing. He tried using 2 of the screw holes. The screws don't go down all the way & they started to strip when he attempted to tighten them up after I pointed out the missing screw & the wiggle. The pumps still wiggle, so I'll have to try & secure them some other way. He did a good job on securing the gas lines, so at least that's a plus. I could have bought the stainless stand alone & done the attaching of gas lines & pumps myself, but he told me that he does about 3-4 of these a month, so I paid the extra costs to have it done right.
So where are the pics again?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
the75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
So where are the pics again?
Haha, I'm giving the vendor a chance to make this right. We'll see what his response to my request for 8-10 feet of tubing is.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

A builder should be getting the parts at wholesale cost and marking them up to retail prices. It sounds to me like they are paying retail and marking them up to 3x retail.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #18
the75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
A builder should be getting the parts at wholesale cost and marking them up to retail prices. It sounds to me like they are paying retail and marking them up to 3x retail.
Yeah, but according to him, he's not making much... I'm going to do the numbers on the SS parts later.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Yeah, and the manufacturer of March pumps told me to buy through one of their distributors...MoreBeer! They were not accepting any more accounts, at least that is what they told me. Sometimes the little man gets screwed. If only debating the cost of the tubing and connections, I agree with you. Some manufacturers don't want to ruffle the feathers of their bigger customers.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you can't get wholesale pricing, you might as well just build a parts list for the customer because buying retail, plus paying shipping, plus shipping that additional weight to the end user forces you to charge way more than your competitors.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply