Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Crappy beer vendors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
the75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Crappy beer vendors

Just dealt with an absolute turd as I purchased a brew stand through a small business owner. Shoddy workmanship, items forgotten, argumentative...frustrating. All the vendors I've dealt with so far have been great, except this one & unfortunately, this was my biggest purchase. Nothing to do with brewing, just had to vent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Are we naming names? I've been sitting here for eight days now and my AG order hasn't even left the store. How long does it typically take to get one simple order milled, bagged, throw in the hop packets and send it out the door?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the75 View Post
Just dealt with an absolute turd as I purchased a brew stand through a small business owner. Shoddy workmanship, items forgotten, argumentative...frustrating. All the vendors I've dealt with so far have been great, except this one & unfortunately, this was my biggest purchase. Nothing to do with brewing, just had to vent.
Pics? Did you go to a welder or machine shop? Was this a brew store?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
the75
Recipes 

Both pumps were loose from the frame, one missing a screw. Even after pointing it out, a half ass fix was attempted & failed. Tubing was another issue. After the vendor agreed to provide me with raw tubing so that I could measure & cut lengths specific to my build, I arrived to find 4 lengths of tubes cut & attached to QDs. I'm not joking with these lengths provided: 3 - 18" hoses & 1 - 32" hose. Cost for "full tubing setup" - $40. 7 feet of silicone tubing for $40. Two casters were supposed to be attached, but were missing. On the vendor's behalf, the charge for the casters was deducted...DUH! I swear to Beelzebub I am not a moron. I did as much due diligence as could be done. Everything went well until after I met the vendor & placed a deposit down. Communication went to hell & at that point, I was stuck. After seriously ARGUING with the vendor about how I needed more tubing, it was finally conveyed that he ran out. I had to physically go through my INTENDED brewing process, while he argued that I'm not doing it the way he intended. It was seriously like talking to a brick wall. Since when does a vendor determine how a client intends to setup & run their system?! I could give a rat's ass if my intended system is idiotic, IT'S WHAT I WANT TO DO! He liked direct fire, I liked HERMS. Imagine trying to run a BRUTUS 10 HERMS 15 gallon All grain system with 7 feet of silicone tubing... BUT...He would certainly argue that I'M DOING IT WRONG! FREAKING ANNOYING!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
the75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
Are we naming names? I've been sitting here for eight days now and my AG order hasn't even left the store. How long does it typically take to get one simple order milled, bagged, throw in the hop packets and send it out the door?
I'm not prepared at this point to name names. This vendor did say that he almost couldn't meet me due to an emergency. You never know what can take place in a person's life, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt & I sent him an email to further convey my concerns. I'm going to give him the opportunity to address the issue before I label him the TURD of all TURDS. I'm a patient man...to a degree.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
the75
Recipes 

Well, surprisingly he responded to my email, even though he claims that "I'm not the first person trying to get extra product for free". Seriously?! Is $40 a ripoff for 7 feet of 1/2" food grade high temp silicone tubing or am I wrong?!?! If this community tells me I'm wrong, I'll let it go.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You aren't wrong. 7 feet at most of the other vendors, our cost, is around 2.50 average per foot. Sounds like he shorted you a lot. But that is dependent on what qd fittings you got and if they were included in the 40 dollar price. But with the other issues.....

I say make him famous on here.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Almost $6 a foot i would say thats a rip off to me i think i paid under $2.50 a foot for mine.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
the75
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin View Post
You aren't wrong. 7 feet at most of the other vendors, our cost, is around 2.50 average per foot. Sounds like he shorted you a lot. But that is dependent on what qd fittings you got and if they were included in the 40 dollar price. But with the other issues.....

I say make him famous on here.
The QD fittings were not included. I was charged $150 for all the stainless steel fittings too. A quick count has 8 Female QDs with barbs, 2 SS Male NPT Male QDs, 2 SS Female NPT male QDs, & 2 SS Ball Valves. (I didn't do the math on these, but I'd bet that's not $150 worth)

My problem is mainly the tubing. I don't mind paying a bit more for stuff that I can use since I got a good price on the stand. My problem is that the damn short tubes he gave me are almost all worthless! I'm not going to try & tackle a brewday with 18" tubes!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah he screwed you plain and simple.

Quick Reply