Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Crap is crazy bitter...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
tackett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Crap is crazy bitter...

Well.

I bottled my belgian white. (Midwest kit)

It is crazy bitter. Like lingering aftertaste bitter.

I'm thinking its just green, but just wanted a expert opinion since I'm a newbie and I don't know what a green beer tastes like.

So lets explain incase anyone missed the original brew thread.

Kit is a Midwest kit.
Yeast is a dry yeast. Was hydrated before pitching.
Pitched at 75ish degrees.
Had some temp issues at first. Fermentation stalled d/t low temps 59-61 deg.
Submerged bucket and used an aquarium heater and fermented for 21 days at 75 deg.
Dry hopped with citra hops.
Bottled 2 days ago with 4.5 oz corn sugar.
Og was 1.044
FG was 1.010 steady for 3 days

So. The beer is very very young. This was more of an experiment than looking for a representation of the finished product.

Also, the thing is crazy carbed already. (See pic) am I going to have some bombs?

It also darker than its supposed to be, but I assume that's from the full boil instead of adding the extract late.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Anything dry hoppped with Citra will be very hoppy. Are you sure its bitter and not just hoppy?

Plus, I am surprised a Belgian White would have any dry hopping. Doesnt seem normal to me. Its usually the yeast that brings out the flavor of a belgian not the hops. Strange kit.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
tackett
Recipes 

Wasn't in the kit.

I was under the assumption that dry hopping only added to the aroma and I've always loved the smell of citra hops. So I was wondering what the citra hop aroma mingling with the Belgian aroma would smell like.

Had no idea it would impart that overpowering grapefruit taste.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
tackett
Recipes 

Bump

Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
dickproenneke
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackett
Wasn't in the kit.

I was under the assumption that dry hopping only added to the aroma and I've always loved the smell of citra hops. So I was wondering what the citra hop aroma mingling with the Belgian aroma would smell like.

Had no idea it would impart that overpowering grapefruit taste.
A little citra goes a long way. If you aren't happy with the results of your experiment, then just give your beer some extra time in the bottle. Hops flavor and aroma diminish with time. Put your bottles up for 8 weeks then check back in on em... if you can stand the wait.

Cheers!
bottled: Sim'arillo IPA, Stout, BM's Centennial Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Citra'rillo APA, Saison, Mt. Hood Blonde

Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 850 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 111

75° is at the high end of range for T-58 (I'm presuming you got the Belgian Witbier kit, that's the dry option)

my first batch was based on MW Belgian Blonde, but I used WLP550. steeping grains got too hot and fermented a little high and there was a bitter/tart lingering after taste to it. mellowed out with bottle conditioning.

just rebrewed that with WLP400, better control over both steeping and fermenting temps, 2 weeks in the bottle. have one in the fridge now, will drink it later and find out how it went

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
tackett
Recipes 

Thanks guys.

That's what I thought. I figured some bottle time will iron out the wrinkles. Just wanted some other opinions.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dry hopping with some Citra shouldn't make it bitter at all. I've made 40+ IBU Pale Ales with all Citra and those didn't even taste bitter. Citra has a very smooth, fruity flavor.

At not even a week in the bottle, I'm sure it will turn out fine after bottle conditioning.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

#1 - Wheat beers carbonate very quickly
#2 - Hop flavors diminish over time
#3 - Wheat beers generally do not age well

I would say that dry hopping with citra or dry hopping at all really just does not do this beer very well. Belgian beers are about the yeast first and foremost and very rarely are they ever aggressively hopped. If you want a hoppy wheat beer do a little research on "American" Wheat beers. Good examples of the style in my experience would be Three Floyds "Gumballhead" or Boulevard Brewing Co.'s "80 Acre Wheat".

I don't want to say what you're doing isn't worth doing but don't be surprised if your first attempt doesn't pan out. It's definitely an odd angle to take.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

was there steeping grains involved in the kit? if so you might have an astringent beer which your are mistaking for bitter

Quick Reply