Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cracked Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #11
jungatheart
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 133

The 22 oz bottles I got are junk. They are the only bottles that have ever broken on me and when I looked at the thickness of the broken glass, I know why. Super thin, scary thin.

They weren't cheap either!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 511

I got all my bomber bottles off of beers bought at Trader Joes. Niice and thick. I would bring a few back to your LHBS. Let them know what happened on first use so they can address their supplier if they are dangerous.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
oldf150
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbrewer10 View Post
why would they sell me bottles not rated for carbing when they knew my purpose?

Just the two lever capper. I have noticed many around around the neck/stem area.
I just went and checked my most recent brew. Altbier with 1% alc boost, made as per published recipe ( Austin Homebrew). After 10 days in bottle, at least one bottle has a horizontal curved crack, easily felt on the outside or the bottle. Opened it at room temp, very carbonated, persisten tall head. Tastes a bit rich, but otherwise OK. I guess the questions are: 1) can "over carbed" beer crack bottles? 2) are these just bad bottles, and if so, is there some way to weed them out before we bottle?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldf150 View Post

I just went and checked my most recent brew. Altbier with 1% alc boost, made as per published recipe ( Austin Homebrew). After 10 days in bottle, at least one bottle has a horizontal curved crack, easily felt on the outside or the bottle. Opened it at room temp, very carbonated, persisten tall head. Tastes a bit rich, but otherwise OK. I guess the questions are: 1) can "over carbed" beer crack bottles? 2) are these just bad bottles, and if so, is there some way to weed them out before we bottle?
Over carbed beer can not only crack bottles but can cause them to explode. Where did you get the bottles?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Just wondering, didn't notice a mention of this. How long was the beer in the fermenter?

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
oldf150
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostomo517 View Post
Over carbed beer can not only crack bottles but can cause them to explode. Where did you get the bottles?
all my bottles are my own sierra nevada empties, handled gently. No excessive mojo to apply caps,no caps bulging, no excessive carb when opened. Beer seems quite fine. I saw on "How its made" that factories use black light to detect cracked bottle. I'm going to get out my old poster light (now there's a blast from the past!) and see if I can find any more defects.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
oldf150
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Just wondering, didn't notice a mention of this. How long was the beer in the fermenter?
10 days primary, 10 days plastic carboy, then bottled. The partcular recipe I used was one designed to ferment and card rapidly from Austin Homebrew.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm going to second the casting lines opinion. This isn't a multi-layered windshield we are talking about. If it were truly a crack, it would have busted under pressure already.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
oldf150
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
I'm going to second the casting lines opinion. This isn't a multi-layered windshield we are talking about. If it were truly a crack, it would have busted under pressure already.
I respectfully submit that in my case, this bottle has a partial crack. The defect is easily felt. I'm suprised it didn't just pop as well. My best guess is that some kind of pre-existing defect was just exposed by the stress of handling. I will try to make a photog and post it for your inspection. I will not re-use this bottle.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've found a lot of bottles with this problem; vertical indications down the neck. Certainly looks like cracks. I don't know if the bottles are made that way or if the cracks develop with pressure cycles (fatigue cracks).

I just toss them out. Gives me an excuse to drink more commercial beer to replace the bottles.

I've found a lot of bottles with this problem, dozens, maybe a 100, but I have never had a bottle break in this area. I'm suspecting it is an indication from the manufacturing process and not a real problem.

Quick Reply