covering pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch right now, is there any harm in covering your pot during the boil? Have less evaporation

Another question I have a smack pack and just wondering how swollen those things get? Or how hard are they to the touch? not sure if mine is working very well

Dont cover once it gets real hot.

I did that once in my beginner times and the foam really comes up and makes a mess.

Smack the pack ASAP. Doesnt matter how long. Longer the better. Lets the yeast multiply....

You shouldn't cover your pot during the boil-

According to How to Brew by John Palmer-

Once you achieve a boil, only partially cover the pot, if at all. Why? Because in wort there are sulfur compounds that evolve and boil off. If they aren't removed during the boil, the can form dimethyl sulfide which contributes a cooked cabbage or corn-like flavor to the beer. If the cover is left on the pot, or left on such that the condensate from the lid can drip back in, then these flavors will have a much greater chance of showing up in the finished beer.

So, just watch it so it doesn't boil over. After the hot break, there is less chance of boil over.

I've used smack packs and they get pretty swollen up. After the pack swells, I make my starter and then pitch it a couple of days later. So, I would smack the pack about 2-3 days before brewday, and make the starter. If your haven't made a starter, you might have a longer lag time before fermentation takes off. When the wort is cooled (70 degrees or so), go ahead and pitch your yeast.

To the above post.

I also do the same now. I find that gets the yeast alive. Make a starter. Gets the fermentation going in 3 hours usually for me.

No stuck fermentations for me anymore (knocks on wood). :rockin:

i have had the smack pack going for about4 hours or more, I smacked it; not thinking, right after I took it out of the fridge, should I have let it warmed up to room temp before smacking it, or did I ruin it?

I have a pack of dry yeast sitting in some water right now just incase

I have plenty of room in my pot I am doing a partial boil 5 gallon pot and have 2 gallons in the boil from what the recipe said, and havent even came close to having a boilover yet

mot said:
i have had the smack pack going for about4 hours or more, I smacked it; not thinking, right after I took it out of the fridge, should I have let it warmed up to room temp before smacking it, or did I ruin it?

I have a pack of dry yeast sitting in some water right now just incase

No, you didn't ruin it. Go ahead and use it when your wort is cool enough. Next time, though, warm it up 3 days before brewday and smack it. Then make a starter. Then pitch. You'll be glad you did.

You might have a long lag time before fermentation begins this time, that's all.

Back