Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cover your wort or upgrade?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I still siphon my wort from the BK. I have a spigot on a couple of them, but no false bottom/dip tube installed yet. One of those things that never seems to get done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Check out Lowes/Home Depot this time of year. I saw a turkey fryer with a 42 quart aluminum pot on clearance for $39.99. I dont even need it and I almost scooped it up at that price. I think the brand was Brinkman?

If you want a valve it should be easy enough to drill a hole and install a weldless bulkhead.
I used that the other day to brew on my stove. It worked good except was probably too tall for this. It isn't for sale anymore though. And it is 30 quarts btw (though really about 28).

edit: I guess it's still on sale online.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Hmm we may be thinking of a different item, or maybe my store has different items in stock. I am pretty certain it was 42 quarts (because I was thinking I could maybe use it as an HLT for 10 gallon batches), and it was on clearance at HD for 39.99 with a yellow tag - which means they arent going to raise the price, it will be there or lower until they run out of stock.

I may be wrong. But either way, it is much cheaper than OP's LHBS.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
chris24300
Recipes 

Yup I'm going to HD after work to snatch one a two even if they're 30 qts. comes with burner too, can't beat that price.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
MisterOJ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
FYI - You do NOT want to cover your wort while it's boiling.

You should be able to pick up an outdoor turkey fryer setup for under $60 if you look around.

The reason you do not want to cover your kettle is that the steam coming out of the kettle contains DMS precursors, which will fall back into your wort if you cover it. These precursors will cause DMS flavor issues later, which you generally do not want.
Could you explain this a little? This is the first I've heard of this and I have covered most of my boils so far. What kind of flavors are you talking about and when might they show up in the brew?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Could you explain this a little? This is the first I've heard of this and I have covered most of my boils so far. What kind of flavors are you talking about and when might they show up in the brew?
Extract for John Palmer's How To Brew:
Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors
Like diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character. DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.

DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.

When caused by bacterial infection, DMS has a more rancid character, more liked cooked cabbage than corn. It is usually the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch of beer will perpetuate the problem.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOJ View Post
Veggie, corny flavors (some claim other nasty notes of flavors) that dominate the finished taste. Not something worth dumping, but without those flavors the beer is awesome in comparison.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
I always wonder how people cool down those pots with the valves on them. You have to lift them anyway to put them in a bath. I would imagine it would get submerged in ice water and then require sanitizing before transfer. I boiled 5 gallons the other day and just dumped it into my bucket from about 2 feet away. The material gushed all over the bucket and created a nice foamy lather. Didn't need to aerate it afterward. Just a thought.
I always have Starsan in a spray bottle. All you have to do it squirt it into the nozzle and around the fittings. When I did small 5 gallon batches I used a wash tub combined with an immersion chiller, then sat it back up on a surface to drain with a hose into the carboy. Lifting was easier than dumping. That got messy at times. It will be an evolution of methods as we advance our brewing techniques. (A million ways to skin a cat)

Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
badbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24300 View Post
Yup I'm going to HD after work to snatch one a two even if they're 30 qts. comes with burner too, can't beat that price.
I swear it was $59.99 a couple of days ago at my local hd. You may have to order online and pick it up to get the deal.

30 qt. Turkey Fryer-815-4001-S at The Home Depot

Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
badbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndy View Post
I let the wort cool to 180 ish, open the valve and let it pour into my ale pail (through silicone tubing not plastic) and seal it. The next morning i make sure the temp is low enough, aerate and pitch.
I may try this next time. Just a little worried how it might hurt my pail's life. Also worried about the 140 F bacteria issues. Probably worth a try. Heck I can test it on a $3 lowes bucket.

Quick Reply