Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Couple questions on bottling and flavors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzwyatt View Post
Thanks for comments. I have used MrBeer yeast, Wyeast Belgian ale yeast and American ale yeast. I don't remember all their numbers, but I think 1056 was one.

My IPA bubbled for a couple days after pitching, then quit. It is in my fridge which is set at 66, but I think overnight it got lower than 65, maybe 63 or 64. Could it have stalled? Should I take a gravity reading?
Now we are getting somewhere... Had to pry a little but this information helps a little bit more.
Wyeast #1056 American Ale is a great neutral ale yeast that gives a good bready and nutty taste AND like I mentioned before, it is one of the better flocculating yeasts that really settle out and solidify nicely in the bottom of the bottle. Not at all unheard of to be able to pour all of the beer out without much yeast into the glass.
It is also one of the many yeasts that in my experience give off some interesting flavors if fermented too high (in the mid to high 70s).

Depending on how old the Mr Beer kit and yeast were, that could explain some off flavors from that beer. Most of the time, the going advice with a Mr Beer kit is to discard the yeast and use a nice neutral ale yeast instead.

As far as what to do with the beer, not unusual to have activity for a couple or three days and then have it slowly creep down to final gravity.
My advice is to leave it alone until 2 week mark, check gravity and record, then check again 3 days later and bottle if they are constant. If not, leave it for an additional week and repeat.

PRIMARY: ZILCH
SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Conditioning and Drinking: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking:Regal Pale Ale
Conditioning and Drinking:Dirty Blonde Ale
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply