Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A couple questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you're using the same yeast, I've always read/heard ferment at the lower end of the recommended range which in this case is 62-75F.

Primary#1: Cream Ale
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Currently Empty
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone,
On Deck: Stout
AustinFromTexas Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You do want some of the spicy clove for a wit, but not the fruitiness. I would ferment in the middle of the lower half of the temperature range at 65 degrees. Are you using a swap color or water bath like this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...mp-cooler.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
AustinFromTexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellis007
If you're using the same yeast, I've always read/heard ferment at the lower end of the recommended range which in this case is 62-75F.
The original yeast I used was on backorder, along with the other suggested yeast for the recipe (damn you hurricane Sandy) so I'm making do with the Wyeast 3942 Belgian wheat strain instead. The ferm range on this one is 64-74. So I should try to keep it around 64 instead of in the low 70's?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I would go with 64 degrees for that yeast. The ester and phenolic profile sounds more like a Belgian dark than a wit.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
AustinFromTexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The use of a water bath seems very handy... What kind/size container is best to use?

Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromTexas View Post
The use of a water bath seems very handy... What kind/size container is best to use?
Mine is just something I had. It doesn't matter too much. The bigger it is the more stable the temperature will be.

My rig:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...enbock-ii.html

Lots of people use the rope totes that you have probably seen used to put drinks or a keg on ice at parties. If I was going to buy something it would be the 10 galon igloo cooler. It's insolated and big enough for a 6.5 gallon bucket or a 5 gallon carboy.

Described in detail, and link to the product at the end of this post:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...g-outside.html

Last night I added an aquarium heater so I can brew a Saision this weekend.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromTexas View Post
The original yeast I used was on backorder, along with the other suggested yeast for the recipe (damn you hurricane Sandy) so I'm making do with the Wyeast 3942 Belgian wheat strain instead. The ferm range on this one is 64-74. So I should try to keep it around 64 instead of in the low 70's?
I'd shoot for 64-65. A swamp cooler works great with this as others have said. I have used one for both of my last 2 batches. My ambient temp in the basement is 68 and I'm able to keep one primary at 58 and the other at 65 which is what each yeast calls for at the lower ranges. I use a fan on the lower temp primary and not on the other which is why I can do different temps.
Primary#1: Cream Ale
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Currently Empty
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone,
On Deck: Stout

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #18
AustinFromTexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I just reattempted this recipe today using all of the suggestions you guys gave me. I put in what I guesstimated was 3 lbs of extract in 3 gallons of water, boiled for 60 mins and then added the rest of the extract in at flameout before giving it an ice bath and splashing it into 3 more gallons of preboiled water. It is certainly lighter this time around but still seems rather dark in its 6 gallon form... The extract itself is incredibly dark so perhaps I'm just using the wrong style of wheat malt altogether, I find it hard to imagine how the dark color of the malt could turn into a white ale, unless the yeast helps change the color in some way during fermentation?

On a separate note I upped the coriander to about .75 oz and used .5oz of sweet orange peel instead of the bitter. No ginger this time around. I'm using my bottling bucket as a swamp cooler of sorts, as it's wide enough to float my skinnier fermenter in a few gallons of water. Probably not the best swamp cooler, but space is pretty limited here in my Brooklyn apartment, and my existing equipment is bulky enough as it is. For the time being I'm suffering the chilly autumn air (along with the city noise) to come through my window in the attempt to bring down the room temp to 65. I also plan on letting this batch sit in primary for a good month before bottling. I'm pretty excited to do side by side comparisons between first batch and second batch to see how much these new techniques really affect the beer!

Quick Reply