Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > a couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
termite760
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default a couple of questions

I bought a kit with a 5 gal carboy and i'm about ready to start. I think. I guess I need to get my questons out of the way.
First, the book that comes with it talks about adding the yeast with a bucket setup and it talks about sprinkling the yeast on top and gently stirring it in. How do you do that with a carboy?

then there is the bottling time question. According to the book (sometimes they aren't that helpful) you should wait approx 7 days. is that from the brewing date or when the fermenting is done??

I'm really looking forward to this experience, I won't be able to do the brew until after Christmas but I like to get everthing straight in my head.

thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I would rehydrate the yeast if it's dry. I also would get a fresh packet from the local homebrew shop if you can, just to make sure it's viable. Kit packets can be old and of lesser quality. To rehydrate, just sprinkle it into a bowl or Pyrex measuring cup with 1 cup of boiled water that's been cooled to below 100F (I do 60F-70F since that's the temp at which I want to pitch) and let it soak for a few minutes. Then just pour it all in. You could proof it by adding some sugar to the water, just to make sure it foams and that the yeast are really alive, but I wouldn't bother if you got some new yeast at the shop.

You should leave the brew in the carboy for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better for any standard ale. One week is too short, it might still be fermenting at that point. Then bottle and let it sit in there for 2-3 weeks. Don't bother with secondary, if you were thinking of that.

Read this. Then read the rest of that online book.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

ok question...you said your kit came with a 5 gallon carboy. i hope you are not planning on making 5 gallon recipe kits. if so you need to get a 6.5 fermenting bucket or a 6.5 carboy. you can still use that 5 gallon one you have as a secondary fermetor. but if you try to make a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy you will have issues during the active fermentation period. oh as mentioned in previous post you must let it be in primary for at least 2-3 weeks. if you bottle before fermentation has been completed you run the risk of bottle bombs. good luck in all your brewing!

Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
termite760
Recipes 

Thanks guys. That answers questions.

Actually, the book I was referring to is one that came with the kit. If there are any online I would love to get them. I use my Kindle a lot and have: The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian and Brew Ware: how to find, adapt and build homebrewing equipment by lutzen. If you know of any others I should get let me know.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Some other books:

John Palmers How to Brew and
Brewing Classic Styles (Palmer and Zainasheff)

Yeast by Zainasheff and White

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert View Post
I hope you are not planning on making 5 gallon recipe kits. if so you need to get a 6.5 fermenting bucket or a 6.5 carboy. you can still use that 5 gallon one you have as a secondary fermetor. but if you try to make a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy you will have issues during the active fermentation period.
Question for anyone:

Why can't you make a kit to 4 gallons, ferment it out and then add 1 gallon of boiled and cooled water to get to the intended original volume in a 5 gallon fermenter after fermentation is over.

Many professional breweries ferment higher gravity worts and add water to the finished beer to get it to the right alcohol level.

The water needs to be boiled and cooled to get rid of the entrained O2 in water. If you want to make sure you get rid of any O2 in the carboy, you could add a couple of ounces of sugar to the water to create a little fermentation.

One issue I see is that higher gravity beers produce a lot more esters, so temperature control would be very important. From what I have read, a 2X gravity wort will produce 4X esters.

I am not intending on doing this. I have no need for it. But just wanted to see what folks thought.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i guess in theory that would work. i would think that you might have issues getting the water to mix in evenly without getting O2 in the mix. maybe someone will try it out and see what happens...lol. im not willing to do it cause i dont want to waste the time or money and then it not work for me...lol

Old 12-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1835 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Is the 5G carboy all you have? If so it'll be way easier & cheaper to just get a 6.5G ale pale & ferment in that. You'll def need the head space during initial fermentation for the krausen build up.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert View Post
i would think that you might have issues getting the water to mix in evenly without getting O2 in the mix. l
The gravity of water is closer to beer than your priming solution, and that mixes in really easily, during transfer to the priming bucket.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Ultra-Medic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Is the 5G carboy all you have? If so it'll be way easier & cheaper to just get a 6.5G ale pale & ferment in that. You'll def need the head space during initial fermentation for the krausen build up.
Or at least set up a blow off tube. It will remove a portion of the kraeusen and in theory create a cleaner tasting beer with a smooth finish.

Quick Reply