Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
truckinusa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A couple of questions

1. What is this: Wichita Falls Texas Home Brew Supply - Beer Brewing Equipment and Ingredients

2. I'm a total newb. What do I need to make some beer? I was told spend $100 on this from my local hombrew company. http://homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails...productID=1064

Is it missing anything? Do I get anything that is cheap, going to break or won't be usable when I advance in the hobby? I hate finding out later I should of done this or that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Your first link is a tri-level "sculpture," for all-grain brewing. It's stacked like that to allow the use of gravity for transfering water and wort.

Of course you'll need a large pot to boil your wort in, empty bottles, cleaning supplies (Oxiclean!) and some sort of sanitizer. What you DON'T need with that kit is the carboy brush, in fact it will damage the Better Bottle and should not be used with it.

This is a pretty basic kit, most of us end up with a WHOLE LOT more equipment!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
slomo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1^^ the kit doesn't include a hydrometer, or a basic thermometer I would visit some other sites like austin home brew or midwest brewing.

Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, you don't want to risk scratching the inside with that brush. i've seen better deals on more inclusive kits though.. If you can amass your own "kit" you may save some money, just use the kit list plus items above as a shopping list. I've also scored big off of Craigslist from people leaving the hobby (gasp! i can't even fathom!) Just be sure also that your buckets didn't hold chemicals at one point in their life and i heard pickle buckets are terrible as well. If you are really wondering if brewing is for you, I got my start with the $30 mr. beer kit. comes with everything to make about a case, including bottles. If you stick with it then you'll outgrow that kit after two batches, but it gives you a good idea of how the process works and makes good-ish beer.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
JebCkr
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Home Brewing Equipment Kit with Brew Beer Making DVD - eBay (item 350216758129 end time Aug-21-09 09:29:14 PDT)

Better kit, better price.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
truckinusa
Recipes 

Where do I get the spaghetti pot and what kind of bottles do you need? I know you don't use twist offs, but are Heineken ok? Can you get a Heinken recipe too? Does it really taste similar?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

You'll want to stick with Brown Glass, not Green as used with Heinekin. You can find clones for everything, just be aware, the American style light lagers are going to be some of the hardest beers to successfully reproduce. The light color and "light" flavor, leave little room for error. Not to emntion extra equipment to lager.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You'll find a lot of your questions can be answered here.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
truckinusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
You'll want to stick with Brown Glass, not Green as used with Heinekin. You can find clones for everything, just be aware, the American style light lagers are going to be some of the hardest beers to successfully reproduce. The light color and "light" flavor, leave little room for error. Not to emntion extra equipment to lager.
So what are some ideas for a first recipe? I was just throwing something out there that I like when I mentioned Heineken. I like Newcastle Brown Ale, Rolling Rock, Stella Artois, any Hefeweizen, etc.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out the recipes section on this site - there are a ton of great clones and original recipes there. Lots of them are extract recipes, but if you see an all grain recipe that looks good to you, google "converting all grain to extract" and you should be fine. Or post a question about converting here and someone will likely help you out. If your local homebrew store is any good, they can give you some direction, too - many have their own recipes.

Also, do some more searching around the HBT forums - you'll find that almost any question you might have has probably been answered before!

Good luck and enjoy!

Quick Reply