The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A Couple of Noobs 2nd Brew - Our Belgian Triple Nipple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
ASassyBeerChick83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default A Couple of Noobs 2nd Brew - Our Belgian Triple Nipple

Salutations!

Last night, the hubby & I brewed our - yes! - 2nd brew!! We are pretty excited!! The hubby really wanted to go for a Belgian & something perhaps a bit more challenging than our Munton's Bock Brew Kit! Although entertaining, we both knew we could handle something a little more intense the second go around! However, I think we might be doing a couple of extracts & partial mashes before moving into the AG.

Okay. So, some of you peeps have seen the recipe we used, but for those folks who haven't, let me review the recipe with you!

Style: Belgian Triple

Sugars:
Amount Type
8 lbs. Light Malt Extract
1 lb. Light Belgian Candi Sugar
3/4 cup Corn Sugar (priming)

Grains:
Amount Type
2 lb. Pilsner Malt
1/2 lb. Carmel-Pils Malt

Hops:
Amount Type
1 oz. German Tradition
1 oz. Fuggles (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz (finishing)

Yeast: Safbrew T-58 Dry Brewing Yeast

Starting Gravity: 1.074
Ending Gravity: 1.016

Directions: Make any water adjustments first. It is best boil as much (up to 5 gallons) as your brew-pot will hold. Be careful not to overfill or cover your brew-pot when boiling, this will cause a boil over.

The use of a grain baf is highly recommended,. Place grains in grain bag, and put into 160 degree water. Cover, turn fire off, let steep for 30 minutes. Remove grain bag and bring water to a boil. Turn off the heat (to prevent scorching), and mix in the malt extracts and any other adjuncts. When fully dissolved, turn the heat back on and return the wort to a rolling boil. Add the bittering hops, continue to boil for 50 minutes. Add the flavoring hops, continue to boil for 5 minutes. Add the finishing hops and continue to boil for 5 more minutes. The use of hop socks makes the addition and removal of hops much easier.

After you have boiled your wort for a full 60 minutes, remove all hops and add water to reach 5 gallons. Cool to 75 degrees and add yeast. Shale your fermenter vigorously for 5 minutes to aerate the wort. Remember, your yeast needs oxygen to live and grow. Attach the blow-off hose to the fermenter and place the end into a container of water to form an air-lock. Rack into secondary fermenter after kreusen has begun to subside.

Starting with the Ingredients first!

Our Grains.

Our Hops.

Our Extract.

The Sugar.

The Yeast.

Ready to get this Brew Going!!

Well, yesterday was brew day!
I have an update coming soon!!
Stay on the lookout!!
I promise! You won't be disappointed!!
We weren't!!

Peace. Love. & Beer.
CHEERS!

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Default Belgian Triple Nipple Process

Hey!! Hey!! Hey!!
Back for a New Edition!!
Brewed ourselves the Belgian Triple last night!

You guys have seen all of the Ingredients! Now, let's get this party started!!

We started our brew day with a nice beverage and a Cheers! to start it off!! We actually had a couple of friends over last night to enjoy this first BIG brew for us noob couple!

Okay... So, you guys have read the recipe & seen what ingredients we used for this brew! Let's Jump In!!

Sanitation!

The Grains.

After steeping, we added in the extract & sugar & stirred until the sugar dissolved.

After the mixture had dissolved, we returned it to the heat & a full rolling boil before adding in the hops...

i.e. - we used cheese cloth to hold our hops for the brew - & it totally worked out well...

Bittering Hops

Flavoring

Finishing

And we boiled the brew with the hops for 60 minutes.

The hops after the boil...

After the boil was complete, we made a cold ice water bath to chill our wort... We moved our wort from our beer brewing pot to the plastic fermenter... Then added 2 gallons of sanitized water to the 3 gallon wort. We filled out primary to the 5-gallon mark & let it chill.

.... Please keep reading!!
Will be Continued on NEXT POST!!

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Default ... Belgian Triple Nipple - Continued

We cooled our Wort down to 75 Degrees before pitching the yeast...

First...

Second:

Mixed well...

The airlock is ready to go!

And we are in the FERMENTING CHAMBER

Used my thrifty used (GOOD DEAL) Used-Hydrometer for a first gravity reading!

...... I am getting right on to finding the first initial reading!!

Hope you guys have found this enjoyable! I think we are moving right along & we are really enjoying the process!!

Peace. Love. & Beer!
CHEERS!!

- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

jammin Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks like you're off to a good start. I do wonder why you poured the hot wort into your plastic bucket and chilled in the bucket instead of in the pot?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
Looks like you're off to a good start. I do wonder why you poured the hot wort into your plastic bucket and chilled in the bucket instead of in the pot?
Um, I think because we added the extra 2 gallons of water to make the 5-gallon brew... Our brew pot, is only 5 gallons and we were afraid that the liquid would be to the rim & didn't want to chance bacteria getting in or any liquid spilling out... Thought it made more sense to have more room... However, it just caused the Wort to chill take a lot longer... it's okay. We learn from each brew, right?!

- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASassyBeerChick83 View Post
Um, I think because we added the extra 2 gallons of water to make the 5-gallon brew... Our brew pot, is only 5 gallons and we were afraid that the liquid would be to the rim & didn't want to chance bacteria getting in or any liquid spilling out... Thought it made more sense to have more room... However, it just caused the Wort to chill take a lot longer... it's okay. We learn from each brew, right?!
I only chilled once in my sink - it took so long that I built an immersion wort chiller for the second brew. I think on that first brew I did a partial boil - about 3 or 3 1/2 gallons - chilled that in the sink (in the pot) down to 80 or 90 ºF, then dumped that into the bucket and added a couple of gallons of cold sanitized water from the fridge.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
I only chilled once in my sink - it took so long that I built an immersion wort chiller for the second brew. I think on that first brew I did a partial boil - about 3 or 3 1/2 gallons - chilled that in the sink (in the pot) down to 80 or 90 ºF, then dumped that into the bucket and added a couple of gallons of cold sanitized water from the fridge.
Dang... totally just learned something from here. I think the next time, I will just cool the 3-gallons - or however much the wort is & then add the other 2-gallons of sanitized water after its been cooled. Ha. Whoops. I guess from every brew... there is something to be learned... Glad to have people there to help me long the way...

Oh, I must see this immersion chiller. Are there pictures on a thread? Might be something to do for future brews... Especially if I am gonna wanna start brewing larger batches!

- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
i would chill in the kettle in the future. i don't think hot wort + plastic is a great idea.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
ASassyBeerChick83
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
i would chill in the kettle in the future. i don't think hot wort + plastic is a great idea.
Ha.... I am kind of thinking the same thing now... To the future!!

- Czech Proverb

Peace. Love. & Beer.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Quote:
Oh, I must see this immersion chiller. Are there pictures on a thread? Might be something to do for future brews... Especially if I am gonna wanna start brewing larger batches!
Most everyone who brews all-grain and probably many who do extract use some type of chiller - immersion, counterflow, or plate. Just like glass vs. plastic or secondary vs. no secondary, people have strong opinions about which type of chiller is best. I have been quite happy with my immersion chiller. It is a 50 foot length of 3/8 inch O.D. copper tubing coiled up with hose fittings soldered to the ends. I put in into my brew pot about 10 minutes before the end of the boil (no water inside the coil), then at flameout I turn on the tap and start chilling. After the wort gets down to about 90 - 100 ºF (about 10 minutes after flameout) the cooling gets very slow, so at that point I hook the chiller up to a submersible pump in a 20 gallon tub filled with about 10 gallons of ice water and recirculate through the chiller to finish cooling to pitching temp. There are many threads on building your own immersion or counterflow chiller - just do a search. You can build your own or purchase them from any on-line HB store and most LHB stores.

Quick Reply