Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Couple newbie questions....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #1
freebird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Couple newbie questions....

2nd post... bear with me & my cronies as we learn this...

We have done 2 batches of AG - an American Gold and an American Light. We are using malt, flaked maize, and rice syrup solids in each one. AG has 10 lb / 2 lb / 1 lb respectively; and the AL has 5/1/1. I got this recipe from a buddy who's an all-grain guru; but not big on numbers...

which leads to the question: how many gravity points does flaked maize or RSS add?

2nd question: not that we're terribly interested in copying commercial stuff, but... is there a reference for IBUs, hop varieties, and yeast varieties of commercial brews? as a "f'rinstance" we all really liked the Market Street Pilsner that USED to be available in Nashville; it has been pulled the last year or so and we can't find it. another example- our homebrew store owner was stating that he is not fond of dry hopped brews, and cited a brand of IPA with which we were familiar (and none of us likes either)... a good example of why to avoid trying something...

We take good notes, and can smell the hops (can recognize cascade / saaz / hallertau / tettnang / northern brewer blindfolded now...) etc. but it might be nice to have a direction to head in rather than making 5-6 gal of brew, and tweaking one little thing on the next batch (while depending on everything else to stay the same...)

Just food for thought....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
freebird
Recipes 

BTT... anybody?

Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Flaked Corn contains about 39 gravity points per pound per gallon.

I'm not sure about rice syrup solids, but flaked rice is about the same as flaked corn.

Of course, you're not extracting those sugars with 100% efficiency.

As to your other question, I highly recommend buying the books Clone Brews and Beer Captured. Even if you're not that interested in cloning commercial beers (I'm not, either), they're highly educational in seeing what the differences are between recipes for various commercial examples of a given style.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Quick Reply