Been lurking in these forums for a while now until I got my brew kit yesterday. I bought the Coopers Kit and brewing a lager.
Just a couple of questions.
1. I want to see what is going on in the fermenter but unfortunately only have the plastick bucket variety. Will I "damage" the brew in anyway if I pop off the lid every now and then to have a look. Will definately go for a glass carboy next time round.
2. This being my first batch I really want to keep a close watch and see what happens, for example how quickly does the SG drop etc. Is there any reason why I should not take a hydrometer reading once a day or so. I know this is excessive
3. I am certain there is a major leak somewhere on the bucket as I am not getting any bubbles through the airlock. Fermenting is definately taking place as the krausen has started to form on the top and after 1 day it is about 5cm thick. Will this leak cause my brew to spoil ?
4. I have seen some videos on youtube about some really "violent" fermentation. Is this the correct fermentation to expect as mine is much slower and if it wasn't for the krausen hardly noticable?
5. Any advise on how to keep a carboy cool. The official coopers "manual" says the temp should be between 69 an 80. Mine is running at about 75, but from what I have read everywhere this should be lower.
Lastly thanks for a great forum.