Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Couple more questions about 2.5 gal batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
jennieD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Couple more questions about 2.5 gal batch

I'm a new brewer, starting my 2nd batch..a dark wheat beer using some smoked malts. It will be a 2.5 gallon batch (due to my slow-a$$ boiling electric stove). My recipe is scaled down for exactly half of a 5 gallon batch. I've done a lot of searching on this topic, but I still have a couple questions:

-How much water should I use for my boil? 1.5gal for the boil, or maybe 2 to compensate for boil-off, then top off to 2.5 gal after?

-I've read suggestions about adding some or most of the malt extract later in the boil as opposed to all of it at the beginning with a small batch. I know this can affect hops utilization and residual sweetness. Can anyone give me advice on how much to add and when in order to prevent the malt from scorching and to make a balanced beer?

Thanks!

-jen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

About half of the extract is a general rule of thumb. Half goes in when you reach boil temps. Start hopping when you get back to boil. Add the remaining extract with 15 minutes remaining. You'll find that even if you can only boil 2 gallons, using the late extract process allows you to top up to 5 gallons. At a 2.5 gallon batch, 2 gallons is almost a full boil.

Put your topoff water in the fridge overnight, then in the freezer a half hour before you're done brewing. It shouldn't be frozen, but it will be cold and help chill your wort quickly.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
secinarot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure you've see this advice a million times on this forum: brewing software like Beersmith is really helpful, especially when you vary the original recipe. I wouldn't attempt a late extract addition without using software so I can make sure I hit the IBUs that the recipe calls for.

On Deck: Pale Ale

Quick Reply