Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Counterflow Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
brewcephus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Default Counterflow Chiller

Quick question about a CFC.

Can you use a CFC with a siphon? As it stands currently I'm brewing in a Keggle, but I haven't cut it yet and put a ball valve on it. So I was curious about buiding a CFC and just using my Siphon on it. Is a water pump absolutely necessary in this situation.

Thanks for all your help!!

Brew on!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You can certainly gravity feed through a CFC without a pump, but may be a feat to use a siphon. How would you get it started?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Most auto siphons are not rated for use at high temps. Your best bet would be waiting to install a valve at the bottom of your keggle. If you have high temp tube you can start a siphon by hand. Sanitize and lower the hose into the water slowly allowing it to fill then plug the end by pinching it off. Then pull the hose out and down, now filled with wort, and hook onto your CFC inlet.

Another option is if you have a super sihopn you can use the end piece on a section of high temp hose.

I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT to start the siphon by hand.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Are you planning on adding a valve on your keggle at some point? You might save yourself some aggravation and a ton of burn salve if you take that plunge now instead of later.......

Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I used cfc with syphon for couple firsr brew sesions, u can put a T below bottom of a keg on the tube u use to syphon, this way u can start by mouth without risk of burning urself or contamination but i have to tell u that valve is the way to go

Quick Reply