Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cost to brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Peregris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cost to brew?

I am currently enjoying my first batch of homebrew - it turned out pretty good considering it was just the kit that came with the setup. I am working out some recipes of my own that I want to try for the next batch, which brought me to this question -

One of the reasons I wanted to start homebrewing was the fact I could get much better beer for much lower prices. In most places I read that I could spend $25 or $30 on ingredients and get two cases. Now that I'm working out some recipes, I price the ingredients online and at my LHBS and the total comes to around $50. Now, I know that there is a hop shortage, and I hear that malt and yeast prices have gone up sharply recently, but it seems like a big difference. I'd like to hear from some of you about what your average cost-per-batch is.

Thanks for the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

$50 isn't an unreasonable cost for an extract batch.

Things that make it cheaper:

• Washing and Re-using yeast (or using dry yeast)
  • Using all grains instead of extract
  • Efficient hop useage
You can easily get your cost per batch closer to $25-30 by doing these things.

Brewing is a hobby, though, if your motivation is just to get cheaper beer, you're probably better off just drinking PBR. You can get high quality beer cheaper through homebrew than through buying it, but if you don't care about that then it is what it is.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

You start "saving" money per batch when you buy ingredients in bulk. Also, harvesting and reusing yeast will save a few bucks per batch. When you buy pre-made kits from the HBS you are also paying a premium for them assembling the kit for you.

My cost per 5 gallons is roughly $15-20 depending on the recipe. That figure, however, does not take into account the amount of money that I have spent on all my brewing gear, which I don't really even want to think about...

Welcome to the forum

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When you factor in the cost of equpiment and the time it takes to brew, commercial will be cheaper by far. That being said, I can brew a batch for around $20-25 now, that's about $0.50/bottle, but that's also after hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.
This isn't to save money, it's to enjoy yourself.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Equipment costs +$3,000, at least I stopped buying new stuf...

Ingredient costs, I do 10 gallon batches and recently did a cheap 10 gallons for about $35. (All grain)

My time though 8 hours of making beer and bottling kegging cleaning etc. Far more valuable than you can imagine. At work, I charge my clients $250 - $300 an hour.

There are other built in costs that don't go into the ingredient equation. I need to fill 2 propane tanks every 3 or 4 batches - $30. I have an O2 system that needs a new tank every 10 or so batches - $7. Water for the beer and running the wort chiller (paid to the city) + Electricity for my lagering fridge, probably about $200 a year for both.

All in all I am probably loosing money, but, what can you do.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1058 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's why this hobby is bordering on obsession for most of us.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Peregris
Recipes 

What I should have said was something to the effect of "an added benefit..."

By far the reason I wanted to start homebrewing was for the fun of developing an original recipe, making it, enjoying it, and then saying "Holy Cow - look what I made!"

I just thought that I may have been doing something wrong when putting together a recipe or maybe looking at overpriced webmerchants.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregris View Post
I just thought that I may have been doing something wrong when putting together a recipe or maybe looking at overpriced webmerchants.
Maybe, but if you're doing it online you have the freedom to shop around a lot. I try to buy at my LHBS because I like to support the local economy... I pay more for my ingredients, but I'm okay with that because it satisfies my conscience

I tend to find my average extract batch price hangs around $40, but can go higher depending on what I'm doing with it - adding fruit to a beer significantly increases the costs because of the fruit you have to buy. Higher gravity brews will always be more expensive than their counterparts just by virtue of needing more ingredients.

What did you brew for $50? Was it a kit?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To me $50 sounds a little high for a standard extract recipe. Yes prices have gone up, but $30 to $35 should still be fairly doable. Now if you have a super hoppy beer, or a super high grav beer obviously it will cost more, but most of my batches come in around $25 to $30.

Here's an example of what I might pay for a "basic" recipe:

6 lbs LME: $18
1 to 1.5 lbs steeping grains: $3
2 oz hops: $5
Dry yeast: $2
priming sugar: $1
Sanitizing solution: $.50/batch (probably less, but it's just a general estimate)
caps for bottles: $1.75

Total cost: $30.25
If you buy liquid yeast obviously the price goes up, but then you can harvest that yeast, and use it many times over which actually drops the price. If brewing a beer that requires only bittering hops (a stout for example) then you could easily get away with only an oz of regular AA hops, or even a half oz of high AA hops.

Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of the cheaper beers I make is 6.5lbs 2-row at $0.72/lb, 3lbs of specialty grain at $1.65/lb and 2oz of hops at $3.50/oz and us-05 yeast at $2 a pack. All together that comes to $18.63 for 5 gallons of a nice ~5% Pale ale or ~.46 a pint.

Quick Reply