Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Correct temp for pitching

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
NWAleDad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Correct temp for pitching

working on my first batch this weekend and i was wondering what is the best temperature for pitching and what side effects for not following the guideline?

Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

the window is different for each yeast is different - read the package.

side effects are strained yeast that result in off flavors and possibly incomplete fermentation.

Yeast handling and fermentation is far and away the most critical aspect of making beer for me. After all, its not really beer until those yeasts do their work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 269

As Kegtoe already said, it definitely depends on the yeast so you'll need to see what the temp range is for the yeast you're using. I generally try to shoot for the middle temp range or a little lower knowing the yeast will eventually kick up the temp a little. But it really also depends on what you're shooting for out of the yeast - ester/phenol balance at times given the type of beer.

Rev.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
redde2brew
Recipes 

Yeast is designed to work at certain temperatures for that type of yeast. If you pitch at to high of temp you risk killing the yeast. Pitch to low and you have a slow or slugglish start taking longer for fermention start and could allow bugs to form in brew. Yeast also has a working temperature and here is where the brewer comes in. Different fermention tempatures changes the brew. As a rule for me I usually pitch close to my starting ferment temp with a good starter.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Best to pitch at the recommended working temperature of the yeast.

Pitching outside of the yeast working temperature can cause issues such as ester formation, fusel alcohol formation, sluggish fermentation, etc.

But ..... providing the wort is below 100 F, the yeast should survive.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

I recommend middle to low end of requirements depending on ester profile. Try getting it where its a little below regular room temp. I just started hydrating dry yeast and man, i recommend it its easy and it give a great healthy start. Make shure your using the right gram per og ratio also it makes a differnece in the outcome of the beer. YOur temps and pitching rate are very big influnences on the ovearall taste of the beer.
Since i started hydrating i have to use a blow off tube now,im suspecting this makes for a great beer! I cant wait to try this irish cream stout- it smells so good an am fascinated by the high activity.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I try to shoot for pitching on the low end of the yeast's working range. I just did a brown ale using WLP002, its low working temp is 65F, I actually pitched at 62 but had good fermentation within 12 hours and the temp had risen and is holding steady at about 65F.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
I try to shoot for pitching on the low end of the yeast's working range. I just did a brown ale using WLP002, its low working temp is 65F, I actually pitched at 62 but had good fermentation within 12 hours and the temp had risen and is holding steady at about 65F.
Hey, good luck on your dunkleweisen. I just tried mine early it was a slightly smoked honey dunkleweisen and i couldnt be happier it is better that some of the import dunkelweizens i just tried in the store-Im a new fan of the dark wheat beers for shure!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 AM   #9
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Hey, good luck on your dunkleweisen. I just tried mine early it was a slightly smoked honey dunkleweisen and i couldnt be happier it is better that some of the import dunkelweizens i just tried in the store-Im a new fan of the dark wheat beers for shure!
I'm brewing that Dunkelweis tomorrow, looking forward to it. Now I just have to get motivated to make a starter for it at 11pm tonight..bleh

Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
NWAleDad
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks everyone! I sued Nottingham yeast pitched at 68. Checked this moring and i have fermentation in less than 24hrs. Now i'm hoping for a good flavor...

Quick Reply