Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cornelius keg not carbonating

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
blunt969
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cornelius keg not carbonating

Hi new to the cornelius keg set up. Done my research on the internet, dont have a fridge yet so carbonating at room tempture. Brewed a coopers wheat beer left it for 8 weeks and then put it in to my keg. Set the psi to 30 and left it for 1 week and no carbonation.Left it for 4 more days and still no carbonation.
ps the room temp is around 16 degrees celsius and no leaks in the keg please help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

chill the beer....cold liquids retain co2 better. Or I think you must have a leak.

I kegged an IPA last week 30 psi for 36 hours, then 12 psi for 2 days....awesome wonderful beer.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
blunt969
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. If i had a leak should the co2 tank be empty after two weeks.
New to all of this. ps can you carbonate at room temp.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You don't want to carbonate at room temperature. It will be ungodly foamy. Also, never leave you beer @ 30 psi for one week. 3 days should be the max. You have to have a leak somewhere. When force carbing, I always go with one week at 12 psi. Always perfect.

I personally would not get into kegging if you don't have a dedicated fridge for them, Unless its winter in your garage, that is. Stick to bottles until you have a place to chill them. No one wants to drink warm beer.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a leak. probably a slow one. if this is the first time you've had your gas setup on a keg of beer then it could be anywhere. mix a drop of detergent in a spray bottle full of water and spray around the connections looking for bubbling. if that doesn't turn it up you'll have to take everything apart and re-assemble. are you using the the hard plastic washer thing that seals the regulator to the CO2 bottle? did you use teflon tape? buy the yellow kind, it's a little thicker and is made for gas plumbing. you'll have to check the whole keg too. Also, this question should be asked in the bottling and kegging forum.

good luck

Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anytime I've had leaks, they've been from either my lids not being sealed right (sometimes they seal better one direction) or my connection at the hose barb. Usually it's a hose clamp that's night tight enough. BUT...as said above, don't carb your beer at room temp. You'll have nothing but foam.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply