Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn Sugar Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Deuce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Corn Sugar Question

In about two weeks I will be brewing up some Pale Ale and I was wondering if it is unheard of to put a half pound of corn sugar in the wort just near the end of the boiling session? I know some poeple say this will give it a cidery taste, others dont. However, I will be letting it ferment in the primary for two weeks, the dry hopping in the secondary for about 3 weeks. Let me know if any of you have done this? Does it raise abv%, just trying to experiment some. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can add regular sugar for that matter. Jamil does it in some high gravity beers to 'dry them out' so they don't have an overly sweet finish. Cidery flavors don't come into play unless you really add a lot. I think some IIPA recipes call for 3 lbs of table sugar.

Adding the sugar will boost the ABV. I personally wouldn't do it just for a higher ABV, but would to prevent a cloying sweetness in a high gravity beer as mentioned above.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 01-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I think the rule of thumb is, as long as less than about 20% of your fermentables are sugar (corn sugar, table sugar), you won't get a cidery taste.

A pound or so of corn sugar will give you about a 1% ABV boost with minimal change in taste.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
A pound or so of corn sugar will give you about a 1% ABV boost with minimal change in taste.
Okay well I am adding 8oz to my wort so I shouldnt see any real change of flavor in a 5 ga batch then correct? I didnt know you could go up to a pound and still not get a "cidery" taste.
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
cmgray
Recipes 

it's been danced around but not stated clearly.

If you're looking to add alcohol to your beer, then just add the sugar. It's going to alter the flavor so it's not ideal if you're looking for the best beer possible but it'll work.

However, if you're looking to dry a beer out, you can't just add sugar, you need to substitute sugar in for a portion of the base malt that's in your recipe. Use brewing software or an online recipe formulator to determine how much base grain to remove and how much sugar to add to keep the same starting gravity. Then you'll end up with a drier beer. Start at 5% and go up if you don't get dry enough.

Visit www.brewtility.com Online brewing software and beer recipes database.

Quick Reply