Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn Sugar in IIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I also think he/she just plugged it in the software and the default for fermentables is "mash addition". Doesn't actually say you add it to the mash. Like others said, add it to the boil sometime or during fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #12
uatuba
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Corn Sugar in IIPA

Let me explain rationale:

No, it does not make sense to add sugar to the mash. It also doesn't make sense to add sugar period, in my opinion, but I digress.

If it is indeed a recipe, rather than an ingredients list, then you follow the recipe. That's what a recipe is. I wouldn't ever use a recipe if I already knew how to make what I wanted, and if I didn't know how, I certainly wouldn't pick a recipe and then change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by uatuba View Post
No, it does not make sense to add sugar to the mash. It also doesn't make sense to add sugar period, in my opinion, but I digress.
It might not make sense to you but in this instance it is there to dry out a big IPA, and is in the homebrew recipe that comes directly from Vinnie Cilurzo owner/brewer at Russian River.

OP, someone scaled that second recipe to their system although it's a touch off - there should be equal amounts C-45 and carapils. The original version is here.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You could add corn sugar to the mash, but I suspect the only reason they want you to do that is to keep your gravity numbers correct throughout the whole process. However, if you concern yourself with ensuring that your runnings don't drop below 1.015 and then take a preboil gravity reading WITH the dextrose, you should be very close if your efficiency is on point. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
Michael311
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
It might not make sense to you but in this instance it is there to dry out a big IPA, and is in the homebrew recipe that comes directly from Vinnie Cilurzo owner/brewer at Russian River.

OP, someone scaled that second recipe to their system although it's a touch off - there should be equal amounts C-45 and carapils. The original version is here.
I'm going with your advice. I'm assuming Beersmith auto-catorigorized the sugar so I'll be adding it to the boil. Not sure why they adjusted the crystal malt and carapils but I've already committed to this version. I got the recipe from an experienced brewer who says it's a great recipe so we shall see.

Thanks for your help!

Heating the strike water now.

Quick Reply