Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn Sugar for Dried rice extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
mesa4234
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Corn Sugar for Dried rice extract?

I am planning on brewing a black ipa from byo. It calls for 1 pound of dried rice extract to be added to the boil at 15 min, I am guessing to increase OG. Could I possibly substitue the extract with corn sugar? My local hb store does not carry dried rice extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You can do it but it won't be the same beer. Do they have liquid rice syrup or rice syrup solids? Got a health food store near you? They actually carry organic brown rice syrup. That would work better.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Is this an Ag or extract recipe? You could also buy some minute rice and do a cereal mash if this is an all grain recipe.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply