Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn sugar? Corn syrup?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Yeah I've even been buying the new corn syrup free ketchups. You ever buy those Jarritos sodas? Those are really good too. I developed a real hatred for corn syrup after watching the documentary "King Corn."
Jarritos rule!!! And now those are even carried at Meijer's and chain groceries.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Revvy, make up your mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Neither of those are optimal methods for priming your beer, unless you like liquid cardboard or possibly infected beer.

Quote:
It takes a lot of splashing to do any damage, someone on basic brewing years ago, (Palmer, or Chris Colby of BYO) said that in order to truly provide enough O2 to oxydize our beers it would take pumping an entire one of our red oxygen bottle/airstones into our beer AFTER fermentation is complete.

Most of the splashing intentional or accidental that we do in the course of our brewing will not harm it...
Which one is it?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
Revvy, make up your mind!

Which one is it?
Well I consider stirring the beer to mix the sugar to be NOT IN THE NORMAL COURSE OF BREWING, nor an accident like a racking splash, but something deliberate that could harm you beer. No mind needs to be made up I don't see anything contradictory in what I said.

We're not talking about a panicked noob giving his autosiphon an extra pump and starting an is my beer ruined panic thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
bingkean
Recipes 

Hmm, thanks for the information. I actually read the first couple of pages of that bottling thread before I posted here. There is a lot of great info there too. However, I did not see much about my question.

A couple of you had a little info on sugar, but I don't understand what the difference is in the dry corn sugar yet. What if that thing about the preservatives messing with beer may be lies spread by home brew supply stores to get you to shop there? Just kidding, but I really don't know about the stuff messing with the beer.

I actually talked with a guy at a major macro beer manufacturer, and he said they use karo in their beer. I think he was talking about the fermenting stage. I hate their beer, but I think they have to be even more careful about messing with the taste of their light beer than I would care to be while making flavorful beers that can even hide mistakes sometimes.

What is the real difference in corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, corn sugar, and table sugar from the standpoint of brewing? Does anyone know?

On a side note, I did some research online, and noticed the thing about the corn industry or whoever trying to make their ingredients have prettier names. It really screwed with my research, and I do think it will mess with brewers in the future (it already has as we all know about it).

I also saw that documentary. It sucks that big businesses look for cheaper sweetener alternatives, but I'm not sure what to do about that. I like those Mexican sodas too. American ones used to be like that.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
jmf143
Recipes 

Now I'm conflicted - I can either stir (gently) my priming sugar/water solution in my bottling bucket and risk oxidation, or rely on the natural swirling action to mix my solution while racking but risk under/over carbing my bottles.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Now I'm conflicted - I can either stir (gently) my priming sugar/water solution in my bottling bucket and risk oxidation, or rely on the natural swirling action to mix my solution while racking but risk under/over carbing my bottles.
Well, I've never gotten over/undercarbed bottles by letting it naturally mix by my method...If I did, then I wouldn't be using OR advocating it would I? My experience has been that 2 cups of sugar water mixes quite evenly when added to the bottom of a bottling bucket and letting my beer rack on to it, or even better adding half to the bottom and the other half when the beer reaches half the bottling bucket.

But you KNOW how some folks are, GENTLY may not be in their vocabulary. Like the guy on here that once dumped a tablespoon or teaspoon of olive oil into his wort because upon reading on here the olive oil aeration threads, and despite the discussion about it being a scant drop, in his mind thought that "if one drop is good more will be better." Some folks will take "stirring" to mean "beat it into a bloody froth." Hence my recommendation is NOT to stir..

So I gave my advice, if yours is different, give it....*shrug* There's many ways to skin a cat. And I've said it over and over, "ask 10 homebrewers the same question and you'll get 12 different answers, and they ALL will be right."

I mean are you feeling especially trollish right now?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
jmf143
Recipes 

Quote:
I mean are you feeling especially trollish right now?
Well that took a nasty turn didn't it? Didn't intend to offend you mate.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Well that took a nasty turn didn't it? Didn't intend to offend you mate.
Sorry, I just couldn't tell where you you were coming from.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
achilles1971
Recipes 

Default Corn syrup is not corn sugar

Corn syrup contains polysaccharides...or starch...of corn sugar. Yeast does not ferment starches...however, there is still enzymes from the malt that will break down the starches, so it seems to me that corn syrup may work. Try it out and let us know.

Quick Reply