The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn sugar? Corn syrup?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
bingkean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corn sugar? Corn syrup?

Hi, I have heard that corn sugar is the best choice for priming sugar when bottling. I know that corn sugar and high fructose corn syrup are two different things, but there is a corn syrup that would work for priming sugar right? It just seems to me like it would really dissolve into water quite easily.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Corn sugar dissolves pretty easily, too. Dump it in and stir it.

EDIT: I was too cheap with my words. I meant it dissolves easily in water (for boiling!)

Old 10-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoue View Post
Dump it in and stir it.
Neither of those are optimal methods for priming your beer, unless you like liquid cardboard or possibly infected beer.

The easiest way is to boil your priming sugar in two cups of water, let it cool and add it to the bottling bucket while racking, letting the motion of the beer as it rises in the bucket mix the beer and the priming solution.

I don't know that corn syrup wouldn't work as a priming material, but you would need to know the sugar content in the volume of syrup to calculate how much to use. AND you would also need to boil it in some water.

Boiling not only dillutes the sugar, but it also most importantly sanitizes it.

If you stir you run the risk of adding unwanted oxygen to the beer, which could cause oxydation and leave you with a wet cardboard taste, which I try to avoid, by letting the Coriolis effect take effect.

There are some great tips for bottling here, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Store-bought corn syrup, such as Karo, contains other unwanted ingredients such as preservatives. I can't remember offhand what they are, but the label will tell you. Best to just use the corn sugar, as Revvy said.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
shipfaced
Recipes 

Location: Found a stray Parrot. All he says is "good morning you ugly prick" It's not yours is it?

Revvy said "If you stir you run the risk of adding unwanted oxygen to the beer, which could cause oxydation and leave you with a wet cardboard taste, which I try to avoid, by letting the Coriolis effect take effect".

ya but do you fill with your left hand when in the southern hemisphere?

Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are just looking for something easily available, plain old table sugar works fine for priming. Like corn sugar though, you need to boil it first and then rack on top of it in the bottling bucket.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipfaced View Post

ya but do you fill with your left hand when in the southern hemisphere?
Badumpump!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts

Everyone has probably noticed that the corn syrup industry is under some pretty heavy fire lately. I've heard they are trying to change the name from "corn syrup" to "corn sugar" as a result. That is really going to F with us isn't it.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Everyone has probably noticed that the corn syrup industry is under some pretty heavy fire lately. I've heard they are trying to change the name from "corn syrup" to "corn sugar" as a result. That is really going to F with us isn't it.
Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. It sucks. As one of those folks who buys "bootleg" mexican coke with REAL sugar, I hate how "High Fructose corn syrup" has taken over the market place, and now they want to make it all sound so nice and "organic."

Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts

Yeah I've even been buying the new corn syrup free ketchups. You ever buy those Jarritos sodas? Those are really good too. I developed a real hatred for corn syrup after watching the documentary "King Corn."

Quick Reply