Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn sugar and cane sugar priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
Hartzelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corn sugar and cane sugar priming

Ok quick question ive heard that you can use 2/3 cup of cane sugar as a subsitute for priming instead of the 3/4 cup of corn sugar but it would take maybe a day or two longer for the yeast to break down the sugar to carbonate with barley if none at all taste difference is this true? and if so what about using powdered cane sugar its alot more of a fine sugar..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 880 Times on 634 Posts
Likes Given: 1938

I've used both and notice no discernable taste difference between the two.

I don't know what you mean by "a day or two longer for the yeast to break down the sugar to carbonate with barley" - but I've not noticed any difference in time in carbonating after priming with corn or cane sugar.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
Hartzelly
Recipes 

oh ok sweet so its fine to use cane sugar then, and oops i just missed spelled it meant you can barely tell a difference did it take yours any longer to carbonate? or is it about the same?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

About the same - give it three weeks at room temperature. And go by weight, not volume, when you measure the sugar.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Something to note, it takes less Table Sugar (Sucrose) than Corn Sugar (Glucose) by weight to achieve the same carbonation levels. I use the below calculator when I prime my beer.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2709 Times on 1628 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It takes as long as it needs to take regardless of the sugar used. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply