New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Corn Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corn Sugar

I have read on this forum about cheap kits that substitute corn sugar for malt extract. but.....

Austin Home Brew has a Pliny the Elder kit, that includes in the extract, mini-mash, and all grain options, one pound of corn sugar. What's the purpose of this addition of a 100 % fermentable sugar with no flavor value to the wort? Has it something to do with alcohol percentage or getting a lower SG?

BTW, their cost is a whopping $112.00!!!!!!

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

The sugar is probably intended for priming. The high cost is due to the ridiculous hop bill required to make a Pliny clone.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3874 Times on 2829 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Oh, Pliny is my all-time favorite. Ever. There's about 9 ounces of hops in 5 gallons- that's why the high cost.

Corn sugar in this case is entirely appropriate. You want to thin the beer, and dry it out a bit, and corn sugar will do the job nicely. I've done a Pliny clone (not from AHS, but the one posted here on the forum) and used the corn sugar. Too much malt will make the beer too malty and too "thick". But you need a high OG to balance all those hops!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I stand corrected - the corn sugar is indeed listed as a fermentable, and there is an additional option for priming sugar. See Yooper's answer above.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Oh, Pliny is my all-time favorite. Ever. There's about 9 ounces of hops in 5 gallons- that's why the high cost.

Corn sugar in this case is entirely appropriate. You want to thin the beer, and dry it out a bit, and corn sugar will do the job nicely. I've done a Pliny clone (not from AHS, but the one posted here on the forum) and used the corn sugar. Too much malt will make the beer too malty and too "thick". But you need a high OG to balance all those hops!
How did it turn out? I recently sampled a couple bottles of the real stuff. $5.99 per bottle. Great beer, but I liked the DFH120 even more and the store I got them from was getting almost $10/bottle!!! With the AHS Pliny kit, it would work out to $2.07/bottle. What do you figure the cost per bottle was for the forum recipe?

"If you don't try it this year, you'll just be another year older when you do" - Warren Miller

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Quick Reply