Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coriander "ham" flavor from previous batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #31
AngryHobbitBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch
You should serve this beer when meeting new people and ask them if they want to try your weiner cream ale.
Classic! I just bottled my first cream ale should be ready to send out this weekend!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #32
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just bottled this beer a few hours ago. It tasted good when I took my hydrometer reading. I guess it will be another 3-4 weeks before I'm able to tell if the campden worked. I'll post back after I tap my first Tap-a-Draft bottle in 3 weeks or so.

Edit: I went with the American Light Ale kit from Midwest. Not really the style of beer I prefer, but I wanted the most simple flavor profile to see if the campden worked.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #33
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I tapped the first TAD bottle. It's carbed up but it still tastes a little green, and I think I think I can taste the plastic taste slightly. I guess after a week or two in the fridge I'll know for sure. I sure hope the campden worked, otherwise I'm going to have 10 gallons of plastic beer again between this batch and the one I'm about to bottle.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #34
CincinnatiMongoose
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsuds
Well, I tapped the first TAD bottle. It's carbed up but it still tastes a little green, and I think I think I can taste the plastic taste slightly. I guess after a week or two in the fridge I'll know for sure. I sure hope the campden worked, otherwise I'm going to have 10 gallons of plastic beer again between this batch and the one I'm about to bottle.
I had heard that bitter orange peel can leave a ham after taste, and coriander should actually help counter it. Did you use bitters?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincinnatiMongoose View Post
I had heard that bitter orange peel can leave a ham after taste, and coriander should actually help counter it. Did you use bitters?
Yes, I believe it was bitter orange. I think the problem were chloramines in the water after all. The batch I've had conditioning in the TAD bottles was pretty much ready to drink last night. It went from green tasting, to almost medicinal to very drinkable in under a week. I think the added CO2 from the TAD cartridge drastically changes the flavor of the beer sometimes.

Anyway, I plan on having a few tonight. I've got another TAD bottle in the fridge cold conditioning and the 3rd is still at room temp. I accidentally racked some of the trub into it, so I'm leaving it at room temp another week and then I'll leave it in the fridge for a few. I should know in the next couple of weeks if the issue was fixed for sure, but I'm pretty certain it was.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 AM   #36
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, it has been 6 weeks since I bottled this and I detect no plastic taste, so I think the campden fixed it. However, I do have a strange taste to this batch that I can't place and I'm wondering if it isn't extract "twang".

I usually do a larger volume boil (at least 3 gallons), but I wanted to follow the recipe the the letter and it was only a 2 gallon boil. The taste is almost hoppy at first, out of character for a light American ale, and then it finishes with a slight sweet and tart taste. The aftertaste reminds me of eating Sweet Tarts as a kid. I kept my fermentation temps under control by using a swamp cooler so I don't know what else it can be. This is also only my 2nd time using the Tap-a-Draft, and I just added the corn sugar (by volume, not weight - 8 tbsp) into the bottle dry and then racked the beer on top of it. Could that be it?

Quick Reply