Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coppery taste in red ales? How to replicate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
robbobbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coppery taste in red ales? How to replicate?

Some copper ales and red ales have a slight copper taste to them that I enjoy. Does anyone know how to get this in a home brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

try adding extract of copper from the local blacksmith

I actually detest that flavor and have dumped beers in which I tasted it! Sorry I couldn't help, but I am interested in knowing what it is so I can avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Kate00
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Specialty grains and hop combinations. Smell some of the specialty grains at your LHBS. Victory malt and some others add an interesting grain profile, and some are used in Amber ales. Honey malt adds some sweetness. the smell will hint what they will add to the beer. Check flavor profiles of different hops too. Using a hop with earthiness could maybe help. Or spice instead of floral.

You could also try googling for clones of the beers you like to see what is in them, and narrow down on how much you'll have to experiment to get what you want.

Quick Reply