Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Wheat beer - priming sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
gjs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coopers Wheat beer - priming sugar

Hello.

I am about to bottle my Coopers Wheat Beer, but been pondering over what to use to prime it. My experience of home brewing so far is merely a few kits and I've only used cane sugar so far to prime the bottles, but looking at the best ways to improve these kits without busting the bank too much.

I've got white cane sugar, but also have got some glucose powder that I bought from a health food shop. The glucose powder is dextrose monohydrate 99.95% and 0.05% vitamin C.

Is this glucose powder okay to us and should I use it instead of the sugar? Will the vitamin c cause any problems, or can i just kid myself that it is now ahem, a 'healthy' drink?! But also, does it matter - sugar or glucose? I get the impression that glucose powder will ferment and carbonate quicker, which would be handy as hoping to drink some at Christmas, and that cane sugar is 100% fermentable so shouldnt leave any flavours (or very little) but wanted to check what peoples thoughts were on one versus the other and whether my understanding is correct. Cane sugar is cheap but a false economy if it adds an off-flavour to the beer, and this glucose powder costs a bit more but if it is the same product as brewing sugar but called something different, it works out cheaper from health food shops than what it is called in the local home brew shop, so would be good to use that if it will improve things over sugar. Or another thought, is there any other type of sugar that is ideal for this particular kit?

I look forward to any thoughts or advice given.

Regards,

Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply