New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Wheat Beer Kit OG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:50 PM   #31
BrewProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Hey, I'm just a noob! But you could even delay racking to secondary until your puree arrives. I wouldn't sweat it either way, but if it was me I'd wait till you got your puree then rack to secondary. Why? My line of thinking is that racking rouses some of the yeast that has flocculated and re-suspends it...and if you re-suspend it while your cherry puree is in there...the fermentation would be better/more complete...

I think once you pitch the puree you will get some fermentation going on for a while...you may even want to keep it in secondary a bit longer so you know it's done fermenting?
well i had to go to a Maryland Brew store for it, but I have some on the way. Supposed to get it next Tuesday, so I will only be delaying the racking by 2 days.

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #32
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hmm, I was just going to use apricot flavoring in my hefe...but now I'm going to order some puree and use that instead!!

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #33
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Hmm, I was just going to use apricot flavoring in my hefe...but now I'm going to order some puree and use that instead!!
i've bee told the puree is a much better flavoring to use...

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Last edited by BrewProject; 08-04-2006 at 06:10 PM.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:56 AM   #34
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewProject
i've bee told the puree is a much better flavoring to use...
When I first brewed I used the extract and it kinda tated like cough syrup. So I guess that's why I used the puree when I brewed the latest Cherry Wheat. This was some time ago and I am guessing that this extract has changed a little in 15 or so years. Can anyone commend on if the stuff changed?

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #35
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did this Coopers Wheat and added the cherry flavoring before bottling. Unfortunately I didnt add the extra couple pounds of DME and the beer came out very thin and cough syrup like. My abv on this one ended up around 2.3%! Never forget the DME with these kits. Just started the Coopers Mexican Cervesa =)

Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #36
HollywoodMX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi guys,

I started the Coopers Wheat recently as my second brew. My first was the coopers lager, but after all the 3 weeks still tastes a little green (apple after taste). I'm hoping it will fix it self. Overall I'm never using coopers yeast again.

For my wheat I used wyeast 3944 (Super fresh like less than a week old, smacked the day before and left at room temp), Coopers wheat extract, 6 gallon, full pouch of LDME, and 6 cups(ish) of dextrose. The a boil of 4 pieces of brewers Curaco orange, IIRC half or full tea spoon of crushed brewers corriander and a 1/4 tsp of yeast starter.

I got it to 1.043-44. It started bubbling less than 30 min from pitching. Beer explosion out of the air lock in less than 24 hours. Switched to a bottle/tube airlock.Frementing at 22 degrees C for 12 days now and still bubbling less than 10 seconds apart. I have given it a shake twice, which rekindled fermentaion both times to fast bubbling. Now Im just going to leave it till it runs its course, I'm hoping it reaches 1.010 FG roughly.

Last edited by HollywoodMX; 10-28-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #37
HollywoodMX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well after 12 days I'm at 1.018 (tasted pretty good!), OG was 1.043. I gave it a swirl figure let it sit for another week. Im hoping to get to 1.011-12, is that going to be possible?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #38
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm not sure. I usually brew about 15 cooper kits a year but I always use the yeast that comes under the cover. Depends on what i add to the kits I usually end up about 1010 ballpark but it usually only takes 3-4 days to ferment.

BTW as a side note these kits should never be boiled - it kills the hopping. Open the can and dump er right in the fermenter.

Cheers

Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #39
HollywoodMX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper1917 View Post
Hmmm not sure. I usually brew about 15 cooper kits a year but I always use the yeast that comes under the cover. Depends on what i add to the kits I usually end up about 1010 ballpark but it usually only takes 3-4 days to ferment.

BTW as a side note these kits should never be boiled - it kills the hopping. Open the can and dump er right in the fermenter.

Cheers
Oh, I never boiled the kit, just the orange, coriander and yeast starter. But I also did add more sugar than the directions as I wanted a higher SG.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #40
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool cool have some patience and hopefully it will drop a few more points. The wheat kits make a nice beer.

Quick Reply