Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Real Ale Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
mgull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coopers Real Ale Recipe

hey guys, i'm ready to start my second batch. i already have a can of coopers real ale extract, 2 kg of coopers brewing sugar, and a bag of the carbonation drops. i was just wondering if someone could share a basic recipe or offer hints for this brew. my first batch was the lager with 1kg coopers brew enhancer 1 which i'm not too crazy about. it has a funny taste, maybe due to leaving in fermenter for only 6 days, and a pitifully low alcohol content. i need this next round to be good so i can keep up the excitement for home brewing. sorry for the newb questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
ButcherBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I would recommend substituting DME for the sugar....Start with that modification first and I believe you will see some nice improvements. (Charlie P talks about this at length in the "Joy of Homebrewing". When I brew these Cooper kits, I always use DME as it seems to provide a much better malt flavor and decent head retention. You can still make these kits good by following the standard directions - however, adding DME is a great way to "Kick it up a notch".

Good Luck to you!

Bottled - Nope...
Keg: -
#1 Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
#2 Oatmeal Stout
#3 Butcher's Brown Ale
#4 Hoparillo IPA

Plum Creek Brewing

Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for the DME..
If you want to add a little more without a headache simply steep 4oz of crystal40 at 150 for about 30min. in 1 gallon of H2O. Put the crystal40 tea water into your brew pale and add the coopers can.
You can use SafAle-04 or SafAle-05 and it will turn out with a good brew.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
rocketcrab
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgull View Post
hey guys, i'm ready to start my second batch. i already have a can of coopers real ale extract, 2 kg of coopers brewing sugar, and a bag of the carbonation drops. i was just wondering if someone could share a basic recipe or offer hints for this brew. my first batch was the lager with 1kg coopers brew enhancer 1 which i'm not too crazy about. it has a funny taste, maybe due to leaving in fermenter for only 6 days, and a pitifully low alcohol content. i need this next round to be good so i can keep up the excitement for home brewing. sorry for the newb questions, but any help would be appreciated.
You might want to check out the "How To Brew" section of the Coopers website. There's a recipe there called "Unreal Ale" that is excellant!
http://www.coopers.com.au/

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. -
Groucho Marx

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhudy View Post
+1 for the DME..
If you want to add a little more without a headache simply steep 4oz of crystal40 at 150 for about 30min. in 1 gallon of H2O. Put the crystal40 tea water into your brew pale and add the coopers can.
You can use SafAle-04 or SafAle-05 and it will turn out with a good brew.
I did just that, and boiled a handful of Glacier hops with this Cooper's Real Ale kit. Plus a couple lbs. of DME. It really turned out nice.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
mgull
Recipes 

thanks for the replies. does the dme replace the sugar at a 1:1 ratio? do i need to buy 1kg of dme for my recipe?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
mgull
Recipes 

ok guys, so i went to visit my local home brew supplier. he sent me home with different yeast(wyeast 1098 Brit ale), 2lb of dry malt, and 1lb of 60L crystal malt. he told me to steep the full pound of crystal malt, use the 2lb of dry malt, and add about 1/4 pound of the coopers brewing sugar that i have. just curious if all this sounds reasonable to others, as i am wanting to start things tonight if possible.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds perfectly reasonable. That will be a good yeast, too. The Coopers yeast is fine, but it gets a bit boring after awhile. I'm sure you'll be very happy with this--especially since it's really easy to make!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
NScooknet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButcherBrew View Post
I would recommend substituting DME for the sugar....Start with that modification first and I believe you will see some nice improvements. (Charlie P talks about this at length in the "Joy of Homebrewing". When I brew these Cooper kits, I always use DME as it seems to provide a much better malt flavor and decent head retention. You can still make these kits good by following the standard directions - however, adding DME is a great way to "Kick it up a notch".

Good Luck to you!
I'm also about to brew the same beer, and am new to modifying anything, so I was wondering if you might clarify a bit.

When you boil the hops, do you boil them in the steeped malt water, or do you actually boil the whole wort, after adding the can of coopers to it?

I don't have a pot big enough to boil the whole wort yield yet, so I'm confused about how I can "cook" my wort, as opposed to just adding the extract to warm water as the instructions say to do.

Would you add the hops at 3 different intervals for bittering, flavour, and aroma and boil for an hour?? Or just at hops once? Boil for how long?

Also, about adding the DME, do you add the munton beer enhancer to replace the sugar you put in the initial wort mixture before fermenting, or do you mean adding the munton beer enhancer to replace the priming sugar after fermentation when your about to bottle, or do you replace ALL sugar with the munton beer enhancer?

Thanks!
Chris

Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by NScooknet View Post
I'm also about to brew the same beer, and am new to modifying anything, so I was wondering if you might clarify a bit.

When you boil the hops, do you boil them in the steeped malt water, or do you actually boil the whole wort, after adding the can of coopers to it?

I don't have a pot big enough to boil the whole wort yield yet, so I'm confused about how I can "cook" my wort, as opposed to just adding the extract to warm water as the instructions say to do.

Would you add the hops at 3 different intervals for bittering, flavour, and aroma and boil for an hour?? Or just at hops once? Boil for how long?

Also, about adding the DME, do you add the munton beer enhancer to replace the sugar you put in the initial wort mixture before fermenting, or do you mean adding the munton beer enhancer to replace the priming sugar after fermentation when your about to bottle, or do you replace ALL sugar with the munton beer enhancer?

Thanks!
Chris
Ok,1st of all NEVER boil a pre-hopped can of extract! It'll caramelize,not to mention drive off the hop profile. I use a 3lb bag of plain DME,half of which goes in the boil (1.5lbs). I boil 2.5-3 gallons of water for this. So,with 1.5lb of the DME dissolved in the boiling water,it'll go through a mini hot break for about 3 minutes. Not much foam at all. Then I do flavor/aroma hop additions with 2 oz of 2 different hops for,say,a pale ale.
Starting at 20 minutes for 1st addition,12-15 minutes for 2nd addition. At flame out,add the remaining 1.5lb of DME. Then when that's dissolved,add the cooper's can & stir till no more LME can be scraped of the bottom.
The coper's pre-hopped can provides the bittering,since that's all the OS cans have. Then cover & steep for 10-15 minutes,as the remaining heat is still high enough to pasteurize it. Pasteurization happens at 160-170F,so no need to boil to achieve the effect. Then chill down to pitch temp in an ice bath.

Quick Reply