The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Irish Stout recomendation.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
caplucky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 9
Default Coopers Irish Stout recomendation.

Well as I am still a new brewer, just having done my 10th batch so far. Not any full mash yet but some partials so far. My 2nd batch was a Coopers Irish Stout LME and following the instructions and my LHBS, I went with a can of Coopers dark LME and 6 cups of corn sugar, and a bit too much H2O coming out at about 6 gal in fermenter.
8 days fermenting then bottled, 3 weeks later I tasted one and wow, smooth and delicious with a beautiful head and with loads of "drinkability". Every one who has tried one can't get enough, even a few who don't like stouts or dark beers. The owner and some of the staff from the local brewery loved the stuff.
I highly recomend this for any beginner brewers since the ease of making and the great results, heck even some of the veteren brewers may want to try this one. I have always been a stout fan and this has to be one of my favorites, allthough I may be a little biased since I made it.

__________________
caplucky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
ckpoem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 10
Default

I am just trying this now for my second batch also. It has been 1 week in the primary.

__________________
ckpoem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caplucky View Post
Well as I am still a new brewer, just having done my 10th batch so far. Not any full mash yet but some partials so far. My 2nd batch was a Coopers Irish Stout LME and following the instructions and my LHBS, I went with a can of Coopers dark LME and 6 cups of corn sugar, and a bit too much H2O coming out at about 6 gal in fermenter.
8 days fermenting then bottled, 3 weeks later I tasted one and wow, smooth and delicious with a beautiful head and with loads of "drinkability". Every one who has tried one can't get enough, even a few who don't like stouts or dark beers. The owner and some of the staff from the local brewery loved the stuff.
I highly recomend this for any beginner brewers since the ease of making and the great results, heck even some of the veteren brewers may want to try this one. I have always been a stout fan and this has to be one of my favorites, allthough I may be a little biased since I made it.
I've heard good things about the Coopers Irish Stout and the Coopers Original Stout also. I heard some Guinness drinkers rave about it. I have a can of the Original Stout waiting to go for my next batch - looking forward to trying it.
__________________
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
ckpoem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 10
Default

Hey Aidan,

I had a former neighbor when I lived in France who moved back home to NZ. I hope you are not getting too much of the bad weather that Australia is getting.

Anyhow, I took a Hydrometer reading today and a quick sample of the Irish Stout from Coopers (Brewmaster selection). I think it is going to be real good. It has the nice color and dryness of an Irish Stout. Very excited.

My bubbling in the airlock stopped at 4 days but the hydrometer reading is not right yet so it will stay in the primary for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Good luck with yours!

__________________
ckpoem is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpoem View Post
Hey Aidan,

I had a former neighbor when I lived in France who moved back home to NZ. I hope you are not getting too much of the bad weather that Australia is getting.

Anyhow, I took a Hydrometer reading today and a quick sample of the Irish Stout from Coopers (Brewmaster selection). I think it is going to be real good. It has the nice color and dryness of an Irish Stout. Very excited.

My bubbling in the airlock stopped at 4 days but the hydrometer reading is not right yet so it will stay in the primary for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Good luck with yours!
No, weather here in NZ is good at the moment. We did have a day of heavy rain about 2 weeks ago that was a remnant of the Aussie rains but thankfully that was the only little taste of it that we got.

Yeah I always drink my hydrometer samples too and they usually taste nice but I did a new batch of American Pale Ale last night and it tastes nasty - hope it's not an indication of the final product.
__________________
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
AmicusCervesa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: knoxville, tennessee
Posts: 25
Default Questions

I am new to this game as well, this being my 4th batch.

I have a Coopers irish ready to fly this weekend but was advised that instead of corn sugars, i should use 2.2 lbs of Malts. Does this sound right and do i need to do anything extra to get that famous stout micro-bubble head? i made a RIS and the head was almost nonexistent and was a bit harsh for the first year in the bottle and, although patient, i dont want to wait until 2012 for this one.

__________________
Beer is the answer
I forget the question
AmicusCervesa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusCerveci View Post
I am new to this game as well, this being my 4th batch.

I have a Coopers irish ready to fly this weekend but was advised that instead of corn sugars, i should use 2.2 lbs of Malts. Does this sound right and do i need to do anything extra to get that famous stout micro-bubble head? i made a RIS and the head was almost nonexistent and was a bit harsh for the first year in the bottle and, although patient, i dont want to wait until 2012 for this one.
Yes that sounds right for dried malt extract. 2.2 lbs = 1kg.
If you are using Liquid malt extract, you may want to go abit more than 1kg - e.g 1.5kg, or add some sugar to the mix.

It can be brewed with 500g DME + 500g sugar (or even just a kilo of sugar) but more malt should make it richer, better boddied and better head.

I just brewed up my Coopers Stout last night, I used 1kg of DME plus 300g of dextrose. And coincidently my 4th batch too!
__________________

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
AmicusCervesa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: knoxville, tennessee
Posts: 25
Default

Thanks! I dont have the dextrose though. Is that a definite requirement?

__________________
Beer is the answer
I forget the question
AmicusCervesa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 363
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

No. The can + dme is all you need. I added a little dextrose just to boost the alcohol a bit. You could always use regular sugar if you wanted. Dextrose is usually recommended over regular sugar as apparently you can get some cidery flavours from sugar, although I've read that that's not really an issue with most yeasts these days. In any case if it's just a small amount it shouldn't be an issue.

edit: just to clarify, dextrose and corn sugar are the same thing

__________________

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Last edited by aidan; 02-04-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarification
aidan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
AmicusCervesa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: knoxville, tennessee
Posts: 25
Default

Awesome! I am gonna give this a shot with the 1 kg of DME. Maybe a tad more for a bit of an ABV boost. Thanks again and i cant wait to try it

__________________
Beer is the answer
I forget the question
AmicusCervesa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coopers IBrewmaster Irish Stout Recipe? argyle Recipes/Ingredients 45 05-03-2011 03:06 AM
DME instead of dex in a coopers stout? muscleshoalsbrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 11-22-2009 09:33 PM
Coopers stout kit to an Irish stout? brewNdrink Extract Brewing 2 09-24-2009 04:54 PM
Coopers stout insnekamkze86 Extract Brewing 17 09-11-2009 11:36 PM
How much DME / LME to add to a Coopers Stout? Vuarra Recipes/Ingredients 2 06-29-2009 03:12 PM