Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coopers Home Brew fixing low alcohol

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
flafishboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coopers Home Brew fixing low alcohol

I am brewing my second batch of Coopers Ale. I think I messed up and didnt add enought sugar. It has been in the brewing vessle for 8 days and it is still producing bubbles in the air lock, however I did a hydrometer reading and it is only at 1.15 SG.

Question, can I add additional sugar or something to bring up the alcohol level at this point?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you take an OG reading? You can add more sugar at this point (you want to boil it with water and cool it though) but I recommend against it, just let it go and chalk it up as a lesson for next time.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

if you did the reading after 8 days the majority of fermentables did their job, so I wouldn't go by that. You should always take an OG reading before pitching yeast.

I think it is 2 lbs. of sugar if you go by the cans directions, or near equivalent of DME. That is probably around 5 percent alcohol for a 5.5 gal batch (guessing) although it is ment for 6 gal I believe it is like 4.5 abv for that volume.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
janivar123
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1.15????
guessing this is a typo, or did you forget to add water?

Sometimes it is good to make a beer you can drink all day...
Or if you really want you can boil and add sugar(it will change your beer tho)

Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think he means 1.015, lol I overlooked that when I read the post and figured it would be a low amount.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
flafishboy
Recipes 

Yes I did mean 1.015 (sorry for the typo). I read somewhere I could also try adding dry malt extract instead of sugar to fix the problem.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
snowydog
Recipes 

I just bottled the Coopers Real Ale and I had used 2 packs of Malt this time instead of the usual corn sugar. It made a big difference to the smoothness, It tastes better than anything I made so far. I was told here in the forum it would give me better flavor but a lower alcohol level. If you added 2 Lbs of sugar to start then I'd leave it a lone.
But try a blend of malt and sugar for the next batch. The malt is the cure for for what "Ales" Coopers.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
irunxcjm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Before you add anything, we need to know the OG. 1.015 doesn't mean low alcohol if the OG was in the normal range. That SG seems to be pretty close to being done. Make sure that you aren't looking at the potential percentage on the hydrometer. That scale isn't really used.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I really like the coopers stout brew. I used a pound of brown sugar, dextrose and maple syrup. Made 4.5 gal I believe and came out really good.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

That FG is not at all out of the question for an extract brew. (We'd still love to hear your OG if you measured it) I just had an IPA finish up at 1.020, which was about 5-8 points higher than I had hoped, and it's far and away my tastiest beer yet. I wish the ABV was a point higher (yeah, I like to get buzzed, sue me ) but I'm much happier having this super-tasty beer that I am very proud of, than if I had risked screwing it up by adding more fermentables late in the game. And uh, it still "works", trust me!

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait another week or two to let it condition in the primary for a bit, then bottle it and enjoy. If you want a stronger beer, brew one next time rather than try screwing around with this one.

Quick Reply