Coopers DIY Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. So I'm going to start brewing tomorrow morning then without the whirlfloc. I'm using the 2-row grain though. But, it also just snowed here finally which is good for cooling. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

I tried my first brew using a Coopers' kit, and I'm now at day 7 in bottles, waiting for my new kit and Irish Stout Package (tomorrow delivery if their lil map is correct). I had zero problems with my tap, but being an ol' farmhand, I twisted the seal as I inserted it, knowing that always cuts down on rubber damage on seals. I didn't lube because I was afraid of contaminants. I plan on brewing off both the starter Lager kit and the Irish, and I'll let ya'all know how things go. I'm pretty sure that the 1st toss will be gone in time to re-use the bottles. Interesting thing...Coopers' is out of bottles, but they've discounted the kits...maybe it's worth it to buy kits for bottles? hahaha! That way, you have more in the pipeline..haha anyway, I'm going to check for alternatives to purchase bottles, even tho I eventually want to have about 4 of the kits to run my pipeline. I drink about 2 cases of "bought beer" per week, and then I have a Bro who drinks as much or more than I...we down a bit of beer, especially after it gets into Spring and warmer. My Wifey is always amazed that we're never drunk..I just tell her that you "rent beer, not own it. It's pis...passed thru before you can get a buzz off of it." She just rolls her eyes.

We drink about a case & a half between us per week of store beer. Maybe a case or less of ours. More ABV,more gravity,more flavor means we drink less of it. With vodka,of course. We def like our vodka.
I was thinking of making a milk stout with the cooper's stout can myself. Left Hand Brewing's milk stout was really good.

So, I brewed the English Bitter and the foam in the main fermenter has gone down now. My OG was about 1.030 does that sound right to anybody? I didn't use the Whirlfloc and strangely I didn't have a hot break on this batch. I hope that's okay...I waited and waited, nothing happened and just came to a nice rolling boil.

It is a bit low, but did you correct your gravity for your temp? You could have been a few points higher than what it showed. 1030 is little light even for an Ordinary English Bitter. You are looking for an OG 1035 with an FG 1008. Again you could be very close to this if your hydrometer reading was taken at a higher temp.

My English bitter was 1.030 @ 24C,corrected to 1.029. And that's with a lot of mixing & 1kg of light DME. FG was 1.009. Came out with great flavor,but the priming calculation of 1.3 volumes was def too low for me.

Yeah, that wouldn't do it for me either. My Muntons Yorkshire Bitter was 1046 and finished at 1010 and its amazing. I did a partial mash with it as well and used a 1KG of DME and Gelena Hops. Came out amazing. I highly recommend this kit!

I'm thinking of adding more DME next time,& some Kent Golding hops. I was given the kit & brewed it straight up to see what it's like 1st. I'll also up the volumes of co2 to 1.8 & see how well that goes.
**Make that 500g for the cooper's plain light DME,oops. So doubling that to 1kg & an ounce of KG is said to give a Fuller's ESB clone.

Back