Originally Posted by HbgBill
Where was it leaking..? I've only done two batches so far in my DIY and have had no issues. MY THOUGHT is that the entire valve assy needs to be lubricated with a food safe lube when putting it together.
I will probably use something like food grade silicone or KY Jelly. I'm sure even Canola Oil would work well. When I assembled my valve the last time, I noticed that the rubber "bunched up" a bit. I put it together with Star-San to wet it. It went together very well.. but, I think the lube would work better.
It was leaking from all around the spigot. The more I tried to push the spigot down and secure the seal, the more it would want to gush out. I too will add some sealant and re test. Its really an excellent fermentor aside from this. I do that with my other fermenters. This is my second time racking with this. First time it was drippy and stuff, but I thought it was just me being a newb and I was bottling the entire batch so I didn't notice this. I have been able to take gravity readings by filling the hydrometer up with no issues. This time around I was really careful and got the racking cane in there perfect. Everything was going great until I closed the spigot and removed the racking cane... Frustrating. This is the second leaky fermenter I have had to scramble to fix in 6 batches. From here on it I am keeping a reserve fermenter ... and beer... lol
At least for the first time in my short brewing career I was able to RDWHAHB.... lol
EDIT... OH SHT, I forgot a bottle on my deck... been out there an hr in -9.... @)@*(&^