Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooper beer enhancer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
renshaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooper beer enhancer

Does the enhancer have a big effect on flavour?
Do the beers taste good without it??

Only just thought of this, after bottling a Mexican lager today, what tasted a little weak, but i'm guessing this is down to it being "green" and needing a longer in the bottle etc.

I was just wondering what people think of the coopers kits, with and without enhancer ?

(Second kit is the English Bitter)

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

Ok,cooper's brewing sugar is 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin. The brew enhancer 1 is 60% dextrose,40% maltodextrin. The brew enhancer 2 is 500g dextrose,250g maltodextrin,& 250g of light DME.
Maltodextrin doesn't ferment out,giving more mouth feel,& a sort of creaminess. So between the brewing sugar,& enhancer 1,it depends on how much "mouth feel" or body,that you want. The brew enhancer 2 is the best of them,if you're looking for a bit better flavor & color,as well as mouth feel/body,rather than just brute ABV.
That should clear things up a bit. I like playing with cooper's cans myself...
Ninj Likes This 
Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
jamesampm
Recipes 

hey thanks for that uniondr! I was wondering the difference between them as well.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Bookem15
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I added the brew enhancer 2 to a draught and I thing it hurt the flavor. B2 is more for dark beers, I personally think your better off using B1 for lighter beers. Just my .02. Happy brewing.....

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

The DME used in the brew enhancer two is light,so it's mainly for lighter colored beers that need a lil kick to push them a little closer to medium gravity brews. doesn't add much color. So it's safe to use in cooper's OS lager,draught,or even the Thomas cooper's select,etc that are lighter colored.It only contains 250g (8.75oz) of the light DME. So it's not a lot.
But,the more you add to the cans,the more you need to add extra hops for aroma/flavor,as the OS cans only use Pride of Ringwood hops for clean bittering. They always seemed to me to need a little help to be good.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
brewdownunder
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If you use these "brew enhancers" and they only contain 75% fermentable sugars will you end up with a mid strength beer? would you need to top up an extra 250g of dextrose to compensate for the 250-300g of non fermentable maltodextrin to obtain a full strength beer?

Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I did a number of Coopers Kits before switching to AG. To each I only added 3.3 lbs of LME and of course the yeast that came w/the kit. Each made a fine beer not watery at all. The only one I didn't like was the wheat beer.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Dry Hopping: German IPA

Fermenting: German Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: Old Glory Am. Stout
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

Old 08-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
Dondlelinger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am experimenting with as it is 100% maltodextrin I just mad ea batch with 400g of this gold medal carbs (maltodextrin) and 600g of dextrose my wart tastes alot better than when i use dme.. (i dont like the malt flavour in my lauger).. so *cross fingers I hope it works out ok..

As for the original question ..the coopers brew sugar that has 200g malto and 800grams of dextrsoe was my favorite brew I ever made... I have tried others with dme+ table sugar, dme+ honey, dme + dextrose, and all were OK but only ok.. I recommend getting maltodextrin if you enjpyed the first batch from the coopers kit. I'm not into dme in a lauger I like a lauger because it tastes like a lauger not a malt beer.. so personally I'm pretty excited about my newest batch.

Aging - Coopers Real Ale + Honey
Aging - Coopers Lauger + DME
Fermenting - Coopers Draught + 1 oz hops

Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Dondlelinger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

if your curious maltodextrin is what is in the coopers brew sugar, the cooper brew enhancer #1 and brew enhancer #2...if your confused..lol.. it seems nobody has tried this (or i cant find anyone who has but, me)... so yah.. making my own brew enhancers for half the price XD

Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Dondlelinger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I added the brew enhancer 2 to a draught and I thing it hurt the flavor. B2 is more for dark beers, I personally think your better off using B1 for lighter beers. Just my .02. Happy brewing.....
The reason is the DME in BE2 is not suitable for lauger brews... thats exactly why I am stocked about the maltodextrin i bought... BE1 and brew sugar do not have dme... and are recommended for use with the coopers lauger ..

Quick Reply