New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooling the wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
TekelBira
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use two stage homemade chiller. It cools 5g boil to 78F in seven minutes. I bought 50ft copper tube (3/8" OD) from HomeDepot, split in half and rolled over a bucket and a scuba tank to obtain two different diameter coils. Larger ones goes inside the kettle 15 minutes before the end of the boil and the other one into a cooler filled with ice/water. I circulate the tap water from the faucet to first coil in ice filled cooler and to the coil in the kettle. Chilling time is seven minutes when I slide the kettle to not used part of the stove top. Yes, I do all this in the kitchen over the counter. Don't have the lift the hot kettle risking a nasty accident. The cost is ~$40 including copper tube, clear tubes and clamps.

#0703-1 Midwest Hophead Double IPA
Secondary:
Bottle:
#0701-2 Midwest Hank's Hefeweizen; #0701-1 Midwest Superior Strong Ale; #0608-2 Midwest Dark Dunkel Weizen; #0608-1 Midwest Hop Head Double IPA; #0607-1 Midwest Noble Trappist Ale; #0606-1 Brewer's Best IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
MariaAZ

Recipes 

I didn't do anything to help speed the cooling of my first two batches except pouring the hot wort into cold water in the fermentation bucket & then covering with the lid. I let it cool down on it's own, maybe a few hours before pitching the yeast. Maybe I was just lucky, but the beers turned out just fine.

However, I invested in a submersion chiller and can say that it is probably the best equipment investment I've made outside of my initial brewing kit purchase. Even though I only do 2-3 gal. boils, the chiller works wonders and cuts the time down to about 10 minutes from the time I start the process to the time the wort goes in the fermenter.

Primary - none
Secondary - none
Bottled - APA, robust porter, hefeweizen

Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Lastly, Depending on the amount of hot wort and ice you might either not have enough ice to reach your cool temp, or you might actually cool the wort too much.
Quoted for Truth.

On my first batch I thought I'd be super fast at cooling the wort, using an immersion chiller and having my two extra topoff gallons be near freezing temperatures. I ended up having the wort too cold and stopped adding water with more than 3/4 of a gallon left of water to add.

doh!!

Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Laar summer, I stuck several 1 liter bottles of spring water in the freezer. Take them out and shake them up every hour so that they don't freeze solid. Then I've poured them into the wort to cool them off.

This winter I've been using the ice bath in the sink method. I also have been keeping 4 gallons of clean water in my cold room (30F - 50F depending on the weather).

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
LinuxBrew
Recipes 

Default Followup: What I did

So thanks much to every one who posted their advice and experience, it was greatly appreciated!!

In the end what I decided to do was the simple ice-bath. I didn't add anything inside the wort. I simply filled up the kitchen sink with water and ice, stirring both the ice-bath and the wort to help with the heat distribution.

In the end, it took me about 25 minutes to go from boiling to 70ºF. Myself, I want it faster.

I think for the next brew, I'm going to double-team the wort. I'll do the ice-bath, but I'll also go to Home depot and buy some copper tubing, make a chiller of my own. I'd like to get the cooling down to under 10 minutes (ideally 5).

Quick Reply