Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooling a Lager while fermentation & where you at?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
scubastevewhite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooling a Lager while fermentation & where you at?

I would like to brew a lager and have a question about kkeping a lager cool while fermenting. Is it as simple as putting the batch/bucket in a cool dark corner or do I need to put in a cooler.

Oh and by the way....any brewers in far northeast houston? Say.....Kingwood/Humble Atascocota?

sS

Everybody should believe in something.....I believe I'll have another.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevewhite View Post
I would like to brew a lager and have a question about kkeping a lager cool while fermenting. Is it as simple as putting the batch/bucket in a cool dark corner or do I need to put in a cooler.

Oh and by the way....any brewers in far northeast houston? Say.....Kingwood/Humble Atascocota?

sS
A "cool dark corner" might work just fine if your corner is in a basement and around 50 degrees. Most lager yeast work at 48-55 degrees. After fermentation is finished comes the lagering phase. I lager mine at 34 degrees for 6-12 weeks, depending on the "size" of the beer. A maibock, for example, ferments out in about 2-3 weeks at 50 degrees, then I rack and lager for 12 weeks at 34 degrees. (I do a diacetyl rest before racking, if needed).

So, you may be able to manage it just fine as long as you have the lagering ability.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
scubastevewhite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
So, you may be able to manage it just fine as long as you have the lagering ability.
Lucky me I guess...My wife runs a flower shop from home so I have a rather large cooler that she keeps her flowers cool. Don't know why I didn't snap to it quicker, would've tried it along time ago.

The only way I am going to get a small corner in the cooler is if I brew a beer of her choice first. No problems there

sS

Everybody should believe in something.....I believe I'll have another.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
jpuf
Recipes 

Hard to imagine a corner cool enough in Houston... You might want to try the ice water bath trick.

Quick Reply