Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooling fermenters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
optaka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Cooling fermenters

Hey everybody, I was wondering what would be a good way to keep my fermenters cool. I don't really want to have to try to keep my apartment at 65 degrees all summer, so what would be a more effective way to keep my fermentation buckets cool? Needs to be relatively cheap and small since I am a college student living in an apartment.

I have seen a few plans for making boxes out of Styrofoam and just putting in frozen water bottles to cool. Has anybody tried this and how well does it work. Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

The insulated box you're referring to is widely know as 'Son of Fermentation Chiller'. Here's a link to a PDF file for the build if you're interested.

Here's some HBT reviews of the build.

Swamp Coolers are another option. Here's a good thread on them.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
optaka
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fid View Post
The insulated box you're referring to is widely know as 'Son of Fermentation Chiller'. Here's a link to a PDF file for the build if you're interested.

Here's some HBT reviews of the build.

Swamp Coolers are another option. Here's a good thread on them.
I was actually looking at something like this http://www.bayareamashers.org/gadget...%20chiller.pdf which is a simpler version of the Son of Fermentation Chiller, but the swamp chiller might be even easier/cheaper. Only problem with it is that it can't warm things up in the winter.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Brew_Dog
Recipes 

You can put it in a shallow bath and wrap a towel around or put a t-shirt over it or both and the evaporation will drop it a few degrees. Through some ice in the bath once and a while doent hurt..
Happy brewing
The dog

Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
barneygumble
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There's a vendor starting out with a new fermentation cooler. Looks like a softside sack that I cannot confirm or deny its effectiveness. Its cool-brewing. From what I've seen in the vendor showcase here, it would be a good fit for an apartment dweller. Not sure when they will be available tho.

edit: They just became available.

https://www.cool-brewing.com/

Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
BeerChef17
Recipes 

+1 to the swamp cooler

Also I freeze 2 gallon jugs of water so I can use them 1 at a time during peak fermentation

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Bonanza Weizen, Coffee Stout, Flying Dog IPA Clone, Momma K's Kream Ale

Next up: Smokey the Bear Honey Porter

Planning: Godzilla IIPA (Citrillo IIPA)

Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1839 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1309

Last summer,I used wet tee shirts & a 12" turbo fan on a bar stool to keep my fermenters cooler by about 3 degrees. If you let the FV sit in a shallow pan of cold water with the tee shirt end sitting in it,it'll leach water to keep it moist.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Swamp cooler is perfect for the situation you are in. A large tub and a tee shirt - a fan if you want to get fancy and help get things a little cooler.

Do the "son of" build only if your trying to pick up chicks with your incredible innovative ways to make beer and have some time to dork around and money to buy some materials.

Either way .... Do one or the other and do it fast cause a room temp fermented brew is a terrible thing.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Here's mine:

I made a lid out of foam (it's four layers) and kept the old lid to use the cooler as a cooler when it's not a fermentation chamber. I add a water bath and a couple of frozen water bottles to keep it cool. I exchange the bottles every day, but that's all I have to do. I float a thermometer in the water, to judge temperature.

In the winter, if I have to heat it (rare), I add a $10 aquarium heater to the water bath and leave out the frozen water bottles.

wfowlks Likes This 
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Pezman1
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My set up is like Yooper's except that I have a heavy peice of vinyl table cloth with a hole cut in it for the carboy. About as cheap and easy as you can get.

Hey Yooper, I just tried NOT using a water bath and placed the frozen water bottles (2-3) in the bottom of the cooler. Temp via thermometer strip on the carboy was a rock steady targeted 68 degrees. Room temp was 70 at night to 74ish day. I'm not sure this will work in the summer (I live in Texas) but it worked fine on my Hefe and saved me a little work.

Pez.

Quick Reply