Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cooling down extract after boiling
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
dibby33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dibby33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 2,164
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cooling down extract after boiling

I have just started experimenting with extract brewing (ye olde ripper was my first - the others were just kits with extras added).

The problem I have is cooling it down after boiling with the hops. I only have time to brew in the evening and need to cool the boil down quickly so I can get to sleep

The ideas I have so far are :
1. Freezing blocks of ice and adding them instead of the water.
2. Water and salt in the bath and putting the barrel in there - works for fish!
3. Leaving it over night and setting my alarm for 3am! Not my best option.

...if you have 1 litre of water at 100 degrees C and 1 litre of ice (i.e. 0 degrees C) if you add them together do you get 2 litres of water at 50 degrees C?

__________________

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
.
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things
dibby33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,951
Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

How many gals do you boil?

I only boil 1.5 gals. I place 4-1 gal jugs in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing. After the wort is poured into the primary I top it off with the freezer water. Temps are down into the high 60s/low 70s in minutes.

__________________
HB Bill
homebrewer_99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibby33
I have just started experimenting with extract brewing (ye olde ripper was my first - the others were just kits with extras added).

The problem I have is cooling it down after boiling with the hops. I only have time to brew in the evening and need to cool the boil down quickly so I can get to sleep

The ideas I have so far are :
1. Freezing blocks of ice and adding them instead of the water.
2. Water and salt in the bath and putting the barrel in there - works for fish!
3. Leaving it over night and setting my alarm for 3am! Not my best option.

...if you have 1 litre of water at 100 degrees C and 1 litre of ice (i.e. 0 degrees C) if you add them together do you get 2 litres of water at 50 degrees C?
1. Good idea if you can guarantee that the ice is sanitized. Bad idea otherwise. (Possible infections.)
2. A cold water bath works. An iced water bath works even better. A salted iced water bath would be marginally better than an unsalted one. Salt without ice is a waste of salt.
3. I just love to wake up at 3 AM to do what I should have done before I went to sleep.

1 liter of water + i liter ice will result in slightly less than 2 liters as ice is less dense than water (which is why it floats), but 1 Kg of water + 1 Kg of ice will equal 2 Kg ow water.

1 liter of water at 100 C + 1 liter of ice at 0 C will result in a little under 2 liters of water at less that 50 C. (It takes a large number of calories to convert ice to water), so the water will be cooled by more than the ice - converted to water - warms up. Sorry, I cannot remember what the ratio is as that brain cell has died.

-a.
__________________
ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
dibby33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dibby33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 2,164
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Ye olde ripper had 7 litres (1.8 of your US Gallons) but by the time 6Kg of malt extract was added it filled about 12 litres (3.1 Gallons).

The problem with the heat retention would have been due to the high sugar concentrate me thinx. I don't normally make them this strong (normally around 5-6) but I felt like a change

I just had never heard of putting frozen / freezer chilled water in. sounds a lot simplier! Even just icecream cartons filled and ready to go would be helpful (assuming they are small enough to fit through the lid of the barrel!)

Cheers

...now where is that icecream!

__________________

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
.
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things
dibby33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,043
Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

First. Dumb question. Man, I know this is dumb, but I don't know the answer so I'll just come right out and ask... What if you just dropped some Dry Ice into it? You could have it chilled in less than 30 seconds. Seriously, would that work? There's a hardware store that sells dry ice for a buck or two a pound.


On to more serious methods.

Ice method 1: Put water into a ziplock bag. Put the bag in a pot of boiling water along with another ziplock bag. Take the bag out, put the bag full of water inside it, and seal the outer bag. Throw it in your freezer overnight. When ready to chill the wort, remove the outer bag and toss in the inner bag.

Option 2. Immersion Chiller: Go to Home depot, buy 20' of 3/8" copper tubing, some vinyl tubing to fit over it, and a stopper that will fit into your kitchen faucet. Put the tube through the stopper (drilling may be necessary), connect it to the copper. Coil the copper to fit in the pot. Connect another piece of tubing to run from the coil to the sink drain. Turn on the faucet, the water runs through at 40 degrees and comes out at 180 degrees or so.

Option 3: Ice bath, with or without ice.

__________________
Sir Humpsalot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:23 AM   #6
dibby33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dibby33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 2,164
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
1. Good idea if you can guarantee that the ice is sanitized. Bad idea otherwise. (Possible infections.)
2. A cold water bath works. An iced water bath works even better. A salted iced water bath would be marginally better than an unsalted one. Salt without ice is a waste of salt.
3. I just love to wake up at 3 AM to do what I should have done before I went to sleep.

1 liter of water + i liter ice will result in slightly less than 2 liters as ice is less dense than water (which is why it floats), but 1 Kg of water + 1 Kg of ice will equal 2 Kg ow water.

1 liter of water at 100 C + 1 liter of ice at 0 C will result in a little under 2 liters of water at less that 50 C. (It takes a large number of calories to convert ice to water), so the water will be cooled by more than the ice - converted to water - warms up. Sorry, I cannot remember what the ratio is as that brain cell has died.

-a.
Sorry - forgot to add the ice to the bath

Ta for your explaination - it makes sense.
__________________

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
.
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things
dibby33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 AM   #7
dibby33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dibby33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 2,164
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
First. Dumb question. Man, I know this is dumb, but I don't know the answer so I'll just come right out and ask... What if you just dropped some Dry Ice into it? You could have it chilled in less than 30 seconds. Seriously, would that work? There's a hardware store that sells dry ice for a buck or two a pound.


On to more serious methods.

Ice method 1: Put water into a ziplock bag. Put the bag in a pot of boiling water along with another ziplock bag. Take the bag out, put the bag full of water inside it, and seal the outer bag. Throw it in your freezer overnight. When ready to chill the wort, remove the outer bag and toss in the inner bag.

Option 2. Immersion Chiller: Go to Home depot, buy 20' of 3/8" copper tubing, some vinyl tubing to fit over it, and a stopper that will fit into your kitchen faucet. Put the tube through the stopper (drilling may be necessary), connect it to the copper. Coil the copper to fit in the pot. Connect another piece of tubing to run from the coil to the sink drain. Turn on the faucet, the water runs through at 40 degrees and comes out at 180 degrees or so.

Option 3: Ice bath, with or without ice.

I like the dry ice idea. I am in Tasmania though and maybe a little difficult to obtain. Would look good though - like some mad experiement

The copper pipe is worth a try, the only problem would be the temperature of the water coming out of the tap being warm in the summer (even for cold tap!)

I think my best bet is to make clean ice blocks. SHMBO did mention about buying a chest freezer
Putting jugs in the freezer is not an option as my beer fridge does not have enough space and "food" freezer is normally full of food.
__________________

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
.
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things
dibby33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Command Center
Posts: 580
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
How many gals do you boil?

I only boil 1.5 gals. I place 4-1 gal jugs in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing. After the wort is poured into the primary I top it off with the freezer water. Temps are down into the high 60s/low 70s in minutes.

Sorry Dibby, this is Please pardon.

HB, do you really just boil 1.5 gallons? I assume you don't have any problems with carmelization because of your late extract addition technique. I've heard so many people rave about full boils that I felt like it was almost mandatory. What do you think?

monk
__________________
Monk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #9
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,768
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
Ice method 1: Put water into a ziplock bag. Put the bag in a pot of boiling water along with another ziplock bag. Take the bag out, put the bag full of water inside it, and seal the outer bag. Throw it in your freezer overnight. When ready to chill the wort, remove the outer bag and toss in the inner bag.
Wouldn't that melt the plastic if you put it in boiling water?
__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried
Torchiest is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2006, 03:46 AM   #10
dibby33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dibby33's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 2,164
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
Wouldn't that melt the plastic if you put it in boiling water?
Shouldn't do. I use the same bags for freezing food (i.e. chilli con carni) and just shove them in the microwave with no problems, some spots of the bag must get above 100degrees and no problems.
__________________

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
.
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things
dibby33 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are all erlenmeyer flasks borosilicate? boiling to cooling question for starter rshosted Equipment/Sanitation 10 01-25-2013 03:14 PM
Boiling extract? jmendez29 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 10-13-2009 08:05 AM
Use Extract Without Boiling DieselBrewery Extract Brewing 6 09-09-2008 01:20 AM
Boiling vs Non-Boiling Extract Question wardos Extract Brewing 17 09-05-2006 02:01 PM
boiling with extract mbeattie Extract Brewing 9 02-14-2006 10:58 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS