The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > cooler/mash tun not holding temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #1
edwarski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cooler/mash tun not holding temp

i tried my hand at all grain for first time today. i had my grain all mixed around and happy in my cooler the temp was 154.6f, being my all grain my goal was 152-155. i popped lid on cooler and set timer for an hr. after an hr first thing i did was check mash temp and it was at 148.8f. should i get it back up to 152-155 and let mash sit for 30 more mins? or should it be alright? thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
USMCBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Did you preheat your tun? Also, did you stir the mash prior to taking the temp? The temp will be different in different places throughout the mash.

Primary: Hibiscus Ginger Saison
Secondary: empty
Bottled:Ass Kicker Strawberry Blonde, Newcastle Clone
On-Deck: JC's Hint of Orange Wheat

Old 03-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Gaylord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

1. What kind of mash tun?
2. Temps vary based on where you insert your thermometer.
3. Did you mix very well?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Yup more questions... What kind of cooler are you using? have you filled the lid with foam? Do you wrap the cooler in a blanket? Just to put it into perspective, I have a 5 gal round rubbermaid cooler. I do not use the lid... I have a round of styrafoam about 1 inch thick wrapped in plastic that I use in its place. I have one of those car windshield insulators that I wrap around the cooler... And I still wrap that with a blanket. After preheating the tun, temp is rock solid after I mash in.

Oh yea I forgot to answer your question... It wouldn't hurt to add some boiling water maybe a cup at a time, stir and check temps till you get back to where you want it.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
edwarski
Recipes 

tun was preheated, i put in 2 cups of 170f water and sloshed around for a min and dumped out right before adding strike water. took first temp post 60min mash w/o stirring then took temp after stirring and the temp after stirring was 148.6f .2 degrees lower.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
Gaylord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwarski View Post
tun was preheated, i put in 2 cups of 170f water and sloshed around for a min and dumped out right before adding strike water. took first temp post 60min mash w/o stirring then took temp after stirring and the temp after stirring was 148.6f .2 degrees lower.
I am not sure if 2 cups of 170f water is enough to preheat a large mash tun. What type of mash tun do you have?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
edwarski
Recipes 

yeah i just have a home depot cooler and used that lid. i mixed strike water and grains thoroughly before closing lid and temp was at 154.6

Old 03-31-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
Gaylord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
yeah i just have a home depot cooler and used that lid. i mixed strike water and grains thoroughly before closing lid and temp was at 154.6
Ok. I use that one too. The big orange one?

I'd say next time preheat with more water and hotter water. Also be wary of temperature variations in different spots.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
edwarski
Recipes 

yep the big orange one. i added 168f water till mash came back up to 153.2f and im gonna let it sit another half hour.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Gaylord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
yep the big orange one. i added 168f water till mash came back up to 153.2f and im gonna let it sit another half hour.
If you've already mashed for an hour and the least you saw was 148...you're fine...no need to do that...get to sparging!!

Quick Reply