Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cool down then warm up then cool down beer....Bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default Cool down then warm up then cool down beer....Bad?

Is it bad to have bottled and carbonated home brew go up and down in temperature here and there.... As long as it doesn't get too hot obviously... but say go from 66 down to 40ish then back up... Not often just here and there.
I have heard it is and I've heard that is a myth.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would think this would be hard on the yeast, going dormant then being woken back up. I would think that you are losing a lot of cells in this cycle.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I'm sorry.... My questions was regarding bottles that have already carbonated... not fermentation vessels that are currently doing their work. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1906 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Such temp swings can mess with bottle carbonation & conditioning times,certainly. But if that phase is already complete,then storing them in such conditions might be ok. But not ideal,imo. I prefer temps with as little differential as possible with current circumstances.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Think about commercial beers, micros or otherwise, they go through hot cold cycles repeatedly from the brewery to the distributor to the store or bar, and even at the store or bar they may be moved from warm to cold. Even from the cooler at the store, to your car and back into the fridge at home. And yet we don't have consistently bad beer do we?

We don't even know how many times those beers go through temp changes do we? Warehouse at brewery to back of truck to distibutor's main warehouse to truck to disributor's regional warehouse to truck to beerstore's back room to MAYBE the cooler to our car to our fridge. Through all kinds of weather across the country, and unless the beer is lightstruck and skunked, the beer usually tastes fine, doesn't it?

Heck even add hot cargo hold of a ship for some imported beers to the equation.

This is one of thosemyths that just needs to die....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1906 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Well,in my case,I just prefer to avoid those situations if at all possible. I always thought that temp swings,even in bottled beer,could cause the flavors to mature faster then slower,etc. And in so doing,cause it to age faster to the point where it starts going down hill.
But I must say that regardless,it still seems to take 5 to 7 weeks to start noticing differences. So at the least,it's a minute difference.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Those temps are perfectly fine for storing packaged, ready-to-drink beer. No worries.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply