Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Converting stout kit to an oatmeal stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Scarthingmoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Converting stout kit to an oatmeal stout?

I'm interested in converting a coopers original stout kit into an oatmeal stout.

Suggestions on quantity/type of oatmeal, steeping time and temp?
Any suggestions on yeast to use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarthingmoor View Post
I'm interested in converting a coopers original stout kit into an oatmeal stout.

Suggestions on quantity/type of oatmeal, steeping time and temp?
Any suggestions on yeast to use?
Oats should be mashed, so you need some base grain (two-row) with the flaked oats.

I'd use a pound of two-row and a pound of Quaker's Quick Oats. Put them in a grain bag loosely and add 4 quarts of 165 degree water. Stir well to thoroughly wet all the grains, and then keep it at 150-158 for an hour. After the hour, lift up the grain bag and pour 170 degree water over the grain bag to "rinse" it. Then, bring that resulting liquid to a boil for 5 mnutes. You can use that liquid in place of some of the water in the Cooper's mix.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Scarthingmoor
Recipes 

Thanks Yooper. Excellent instructions. Much appreciated. It was your oatmeal recipe that got me thinking this route in the first place. If you're ever in Canada, go out and try a St-Ambroise oatmeal stout. Very nice microbrew out of Quebec.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarthingmoor View Post
Thanks Yooper. Excellent instructions. Much appreciated. It was your oatmeal recipe that got me thinking this route in the first place. If you're ever in Canada, go out and try a St-Ambroise oatmeal stout. Very nice microbrew out of Quebec.
I get to the Soo once in a while, but not that often anymore. (My daughter was going to school there). I rarely get to NW Ontario, but when I do I have never seen St-Ambroise! Usually, Alexander Keith's and a variant of a choice between "brown" and "light"!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
DHdriver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How did this turn out, I was thinking of doing a similar thing. I was considering adding some coffee in a bag and boil for 10 minutes at the end, anyone know how much coffee or how long. How does using the extra malt effect the amount of corn sugar to add, still the required 1KG?

Thanks

Quick Reply