Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Converting Brix To PPG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Converting Brix To PPG

California Concentrate, who makes the ultralight LME, and possibly the pale LME that MoreBeer sells has a Brix of 80. Looking around, if I'm not mistaken equates to percentage of sugar, therefore being 80%. If I'm not mistaken, a PPG of 46 would be 100% sugar. To convert their LME into the PPG scale would then be 36.8 PPG. Correct?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
brick_haus
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is PPG pounds per gallon or parts per Gazillion?

Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

per gallon...

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

sugar, granulated 7.09 pounds per gallon

Aqua-calc

It give the density of many common substances in many units. Very useful for cooking. I think it started out as someone who wanted to calculate the capacity of aquariums and evolved.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

PPG = points per pound per gallon

LME ~ 37
DME ~ 45
2-row ~ 37
Crystal(60) ~ 34
Corn sugar ~ 46

From Kaiser:

Quote:
Working with ppg makes the problem of figuring out the extract potential much harder and the easiest way is to take the extract potential of sucrose (47 ppg) and multiply it with the sugar content of corn sugar (95%) like a10t2 said. This gives you 44.6

I found that a lot of the priming and efficiency calculations are much easier when working with Plato. To get the deg Plato for a solution all you need to know is the weight of the water and the weight of the extract (or sugar)

Plato = 100 * m_extract / ( m_extract + m_water)

If you need to know the volume of the resulting solution just determine the specific gravity either by estimation sg = 1 + Plato / 250 or with a more precise approximation. Then you can determine the volume of the wort by dividing its weight ( m_extract + m_water) by the specific gravity which has the unit kg/l

V_wort = sg * m_wort = sg * ( m_extract + m_water)

This is also how you can calculate how much dissolved sugar expands the volume of the solution and you can reverse the calculations to determine home much weight of extract is in a wort of given volume and specific gravity.

In addition to that, the PPG based calculations are actually the result of using the simplified Plato to sg conversion: sg = 1 + Plato / 250. If that wouldn’t be close enough for most of our calculations we wouldn’t be able to use the simple PPG based methods.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply