Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Converting all-grain to extract.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Switchman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Converting all-grain to extract.

I did a quick skim over the forum search and I did notice another thread that contained this question, but I figured I would ask it again. So, at the risk of beating a dead horse I'm going to ask it.

How does one go about converting all-grain recipes to extract form. I ask due in part to my curiosity, time constraints with work, and possibly to help new brewers get into it without being overwhelmed with all-grain (the same as I was).

Thank you in advance.

- Switchman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

5 lbs 2-row = 3 lbs pilsen/extra-light DME
keeps the specialty grain the same the same and steep it

Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Switchman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Seems simple enough. Does the math figure out the same then for darker extracts?

Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Most brewing software (even freeware) do a pretty good job at the push of a button. Enter the recipe "as is", then have the software convert it for you.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

no, but there is no need to use darker extracts and it counter productive to do so. you'd be doubling up the specialty grains blindly.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
no, but there is no need to use darker extracts and it counter productive to do so. you'd be doubling up the specialty grains blindly.
True, but this is a partial mash vs a true extract brew. Not saying thats a bad thing, but some like to keep the process as simple as possible and stay strictly extract.....

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Switchman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I will admit, I do kind of feel like an idiot after posting this I noticed the similar threads box on the bottom of the page. But, hindsight is 20/20 so I can't undo it.

I guess my thought about the darker extracts was in the way of not steeping any grains and doing a purely extract brew.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
amandabab
Recipes 

no partial mash, i said steep

if you want extract only with no steeping grains your going to need to convert and delete alot of the all grain recipe.

3lb DME lots (origially used to convert extract recipes to all-grain)
Briess:

Pilsen aka extra-light.
5.5lbs undermodifed pilsen malt and a 90minute boil or 5lbs 2-row and a standard 60minute boil.
(edit: you can boil 60 minutes with undermodifed pilsen malt if you do a double/tripple decoction mash)

Golden light.
5lbs 2-row, 2oz 10L-20L crystal

Amber.
5lbs 2-row, 2oz 30L-40L crystal, 1oz Victory/bicuit

Dark.
5lbs 2-row, 2oz chocolate malt, 2oz roasted barley, 1oz 120L crystal

Muntons:

extra-pale/extra-light.
5lbs Tipple Pale Ale Malt

pale/light
2lbs Marris Otter, 3lbs British pale malt (note: British pale malt has enough diastatic power to self convert and a little extra, but its not the powerhouse MO is, so be careful if the rest of your recipe has a lot of adjuncts in the mash)

amber.
5lbs British pale malt, 2oz amber crystal aka medium crystal-2 or American 30L-40L crystal, 1oz biscuit malt

dark:
2lbs Marris Otter, 3lbs British Pale Ale Malt, 2oz chocolate malt, 2oz roasted barley, 1oz dark crystal or crystal-3 or 120L crystal

extra-dark.
1lbs Marris Otter, 4lbs British Pale Ale Malt, 2oz chocolate malt, 2oz roasted barley, 1oz dark crystal or crystal-3 or 120L crystal, 1oz black patent

your mileage may vary

so to reverse it and go to extract, take the allgrain ingredients and process and see whats close.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Switchman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

In a strange way I feel extremely enlightened from that post. I don't think I'll go winning any awards anytime soon, but it does help. All the input so far has been extremely helpful to be exact. But, that's the nice thing about this forum, it's full of knowledge.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab
no partial mash, i said steep

if you want extract only with no steeping grains your going to need to convert and delete alot of the all grain recipe.

3lb DME lots (origially used to convert extract recipes to all-grain)
Briess:

Pilsen aka extra-light.
5.5lbs undermodifed pilsen malt and a 90minute boil or 5lbs 2-row and a standard 60minute boil.
(edit: you can boil 60 minutes with undermodifed pilsen malt if you do a double/tripple decoction mash)

Golden light.
5lbs 2-row, 2oz 10L-20L crystal

Amber.
5lbs 2-row, 2oz 30L-40L crystal, 1oz Victory/bicuit

Dark.
5lbs 2-row, 2oz chocolate malt, 2oz roasted barley, 1oz 120L crystal

Muntons:

extra-pale/extra-light.
5lbs Tipple Pale Ale Malt

pale/light
2lbs Marris Otter, 3lbs British pale malt (note: British pale malt has enough diastatic power to self convert and a little extra, but its not the powerhouse MO is, so be careful if the rest of your recipe has a lot of adjuncts in the mash)

amber.
5lbs British pale malt, 2oz amber crystal aka medium crystal-2 or American 30L-40L crystal, 1oz biscuit malt

dark:
2lbs Marris Otter, 3lbs British Pale Ale Malt, 2oz chocolate malt, 2oz roasted barley, 1oz dark crystal or crystal-3 or 120L crystal

extra-dark.
1lbs Marris Otter, 4lbs British Pale Ale Malt, 2oz chocolate malt, 2oz roasted barley, 1oz dark crystal or crystal-3 or 120L crystal, 1oz black patent

your mileage may vary

so to reverse it and go to extract, take the allgrain ingredients and process and see whats close.
Just curious where you got all this...I didn't think a lot of the extract producers had their grist public.

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply