Convert this: All Grain Recipe to Extract/Specialty Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I just completed my first batch of homebrew over the weekend. I followed a kit recipe from my homebrew shop for Bell's Two-Hearted ale. It used both malt extract and specialty grains (which I steeped). The process was easy, but I am not ready/don't even know what "all grain" brewing entails...mash? sparge? I don't even know what those terms mean. I am VERY new at this, and How to Brew is being delivered today.

Is it possible to take this recipe and convert it so that instead of using this grain bill, I can steep the specialty grains and boil in my extract to make the wort?

alphakingrecipe.jpg

You need to get a copy of Beersmith. Just enter the recipe in and hit the convert button. It will convert from Extract to Partial Mash or All Grain and any other way as well.

This is for a full boil on an extract based beer. Your IBU levels would change based on the size of your boil vessel and your hop utilization. The C20 is subbed for melonoidin because that is not a malt that is recommended for steeping.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Copy of Alpha King
Brewer: mmb
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9 lbs 15.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)             Extract      93.79 %       
7.6 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        4.49 %        
1.9 oz        Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                Grain        1.12 %        
1.0 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        0.60 %        
1.00 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)    Hops          -            
1.00 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (60 min)            Hops         39.2 IBU      
1.00 oz       Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 Hops          -            
0.50 oz       Warrior [15.00 %]  (30 min)               Hops         15.0 IBU      
1.00 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         5.7 IBU       
1.50 oz       Centennial [10.00 %]  (5 min)             Hops         9.8 IBU       
1 Pkgs        California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 11.44 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

You can round off those tenths of an ounce as well. The software gets particular about making everything work out to exactly the same gravities and color as the original recipe.

10lbs extract
8 oz C60
2 oz Special B
1 oz C20

Back