Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Controlling temperatures with Winter coming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Sulfuriois
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was thinking about doing what Khaos suggested and just put a covered light bulb in there at night. That way it would still kick on after it gets too warm.

I thought about moving the jumper on the controller to control a heat source but the weather here is so sporadic right now that I would probably have to keep switching it back and forth from heating to cooling. We're going from 70's some days to 30's the next.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnCully View Post
If you Have the a419 that is a dual controller. It just wont do both at the same time. Check out the instructions and move the pins to set it to heat and then plug in a small space heater with a built in fan thats how i do it up north
Sweet I did not know that! I can hook a space heater up in my extra room in case temps get too low. I think I lost my instructions but I bet I can find a pdf on the website.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You can get flexible heating film from www.beanfarm.com for $3-4 per foot and make it any length you want. It generates about 40 watts per foot and can be wrapped around fermentors. They call it "Flexwatt" on their site.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynne
Turn your controller to heating mode then add a heat source. For about $40 you can by a heating pad (for sore backs and muscles) at any drugstore which you can plug directly into your controller. When you have an active fermentation you might have to switch back to cooling mode for the first few days as it will be the heat source. Works really well!
Often (perhaps always) these heating pads have automatic timed "safety" shut-offs. Buyer beware.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

I just wrapped a brew belt around the upper part of my fermenter.

Quick Reply