Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > continuous brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Pivot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default continuous brewing

Hi I am starting homebrewing very soon and I have a question. I want to make sure that I always have beer in my fridge, and was wondering how long should I wait before I start my next batch after the first one is finished, and should I have two sets of bottles rather than just one. I would like to get on a routine so I never run out of beer!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Pivot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh and I was also thinking about the posibility of one primary fermenter, and two secondary fermenters. tell me what you guys think of that idea

Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The answer to that is easy. You should start your next brew now. Most beer benefits from some aging, and it is typical for new brewers to drink their batches before they hit their prime because it is the only beer to drink, and it is usually pretty good.

If you have a batch or two well conditioned, it is easier to wait for the new batch to properly condition.

As to how many sets of bottles you need, I would say two is required, three is better. I brew with moderate freqeuncy and have 7 kegs. (1 keg = 1 batch)

It also depends on your consumtion frequency. If you don't drink much, it is pretty easy to brew up three batches in a short period of time, and then brew a new batch as soon as a set of bottles are free. If you drink frequently, you are going to need a lot of bottles and should brew a lot initially to get a good stock pile.

One primary and two secondaries is a pretty good start.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivot676 View Post
Oh and I was also thinking about the posibility of one primary fermenter, and two secondary fermenters. tell me what you guys think of that idea

Two secondaries come in real handy when your dealing with stuff that is aged, such as a barley wine which can age up to 12 months, or even stuff as common as lagers where you have a cool fermentation and a cold aging (lagering). If all your doing off the bat though, are say, Irish Reds, Porters, Cream Ale, Alt, and other things your kit says takes 5-6 weeks I don't see where two secondaries would be a serious advantage, and it's these types of kits most newbies (like myself) try. Generally speaking if your kit says "ready in six weeks" you can estimate ahead of time: two weeks in primary, two in secondary, two in the bottles, but remember, most beers improve with age up until a certain point. Always check your gravity with a hydrometer that it stable for several days before bottling.

Bill

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have three primaries(4 if you count the 3G carboy dedicated to Apfelwien(sp?)). I generally don't secondary my ales, but I have one planned that I want to age a few months so I'll probably use a keg as a secondary to age it in. The quantity of my bottle inventory varies as I give away beers and or acquire more bottles that previously held commercial beers. I probably have enough bottles to have about seven 5 gallon batches bottled. I have purchased most of the hardware for my kegerator and 10 kegs. I will also be getting a 15 gallon kettle so I can move up to 10 G batches. Once I start kegging I'll probably still bottle certain beers that I don't drink in high volume.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
boydak
Recipes 

I have 2 plastic buckets and 1 glass carboy. Any of which can be a primary or secondary. ! have 2 cases each o 22oz and 12 oz, one case each of 16 oz and 20 oz, and 2 mini kegs.

Still loking for more kegs and bottles.

Currently I have beer in both plastic buckets.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would say that if you brew for the first time and enjoy the process you should brew again as quickly as possible. If you like the process you will want to brew again, and your beer will taste pretty good, and then it will be gone before you know it.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I try to keep two batches in bottles and one in the fermentor at all times. I don't use a secondary but have two plastic buckets and at least one of them is wet all of the time. It takes a month to brew a batch from start to the point where it's fit to drink.

Tom

Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, this is merely a question of mathematics - but we need more data to input.

Lets say it takes about 40 days from stove to mouth. But we have no idea how much beer your drink on a weekely basis. This tends to vary widely from brewer to brewer.

With those inputs, we can help you dial in equipment needs and your required brewing schedule.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have three ale pails, three 6 gallon carboys, two 5 gallon carboys, a wine pail, a 3 gallon glass carboy, and 14 corny kegs. Oh, and I just bought two Homer buckets a few weeks ago with lids to use for fermenting experimental one gallon wine batches, and am secondarying those in 1 gallon apple juice bottles.

Short answer: you can't brew too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply