Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > contaminated beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
simzy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default contaminated beer?

This is my first batch of home brew, and I'm paranoid that my beer was contaminated somewhere between transfering the wort from my brew pot to my primary fermentation bucket, and pitching the yeast. Today, after 6 days of initial fermentation, I finished racking the beer from my primary to my secondary fermenter, and siphoned some into a glass to sample the beer. Is there a way to tell if the beer is contaminated, maybe a bad odor, or obvious taste that would help me determine if it's bad?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
jar

Recipes 

If it tastes like beer, it's good. If it's bad, I think it'll be pretty obvious. If you can't tell it's bad, then it's good enough :P

Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was real paranoid on my first one. Relax boss fermentation is ugly at first then you learn the cycle and begin to think it's beautiful.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Markusface
Recipes 

The best advice I've had from this website is as simple as "Don't worry, have a homebrew!"

When I got paranoid about contamination it promted me to keep peeking inside my container... but yeah, doing that is gonna increase the chance of infection

Just wait and see how it turns out... Just start worrying if anything... hairy... starts appearing... *shudders*

Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Unless it just tastes ass-nasty, it's not contaminated.

Probably the most typical unwanted nasty in beer is wild yeast...a beer with way too much wild yeast tastes like a plastic band-aid, roughly.

Your beer might not taste all that great at this point--it can be raw and kindof harsh. But if it taste even vaguely like beer and not like something completely nasty, you're good.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 08-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
simzy

Recipes 

I think raw is a good word to describe the taste. I imagine it is the hops I'm tasting, and will get better after my secondary fermentation. I kind of figured I was worrying about nothing, but it's always nice to check with people who have experience.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

We use the term "Green beer". Raw also says it. Contamination tends to be really obvious, although lacto infections can be "Does this taste a little sour?" and even that can age out.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
simzy

Recipes 

It did taste a little sour, but I'm brewing a hefeweisen, and planned on serving it with lemons anyway. Thanks for all of the input.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i tasted my current batch of Porter Ale before bottling and was dissappointed in the flavor. but thanks to these folks i kept going and hoped for the best. last night i tried a bottle (i just cant wait the 2 weeks i had planned) and the off flavors I thought i had tasted were gone...and the beer was delicious. so yea, i would say just keep going, see what happens.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
rcbrew
Recipes 

Just be patient! Bury it in a box, in a cool closet or basement, and try to forget about it for a while. Mine was good after 3 weeks, but was fantastic after 3 months! It went fast after that! Brew some more in the meantime!

Quick Reply