contaminated batch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulax25

Reaction score
Well, I just racked a batch to the secondary, and it had a weird smell to it. When I tasted the sample I took for the SG, it was kinda sour tasting. I am pretty sure its contaminated. I will let it condition anyway, but I am heartbroken that this batch didnt make it, especially since my SGwas 1.070 and my FG today was 1.012 . . . this was gonna be a strong one!!

Anyone else who has ever had a bad batch, what was the specific smell / taste? Does this batch have a chnce of tasting better once it ages a little?:( :mad:

A sour taste could indicate an infection, but from what I hear, this is not too serious, and can age out after being bottled for a few weeks.

My first batch is still in the secondary, and had a hint of a sour taste when I transfered from the primary, so I can't tell you from experience how it will turn out. I'm brewing a wheat beer, so the sour taste isn't as bad as it could be for other beers.

Best advice...if it tastes good enough to drink, have at it. Your beer might not turn out exactly like expected, but it should still be drinkable.

I've had a couple bad batches; actually my 2 last porters both went south on me. 1st one was clearly bad and never made it to the keg it smelled so nasty. Second one had a similar smell but not as bad; thought it was in my head and would mellow out. So I kegged it and let it sit on CO2. After two+ weeks it came out as complete foam. I dumped it this weekend. Sour/dryish kind of taste. I chalked it up to bad grain (AG'er) as I used new yeast the second time.

If you bottle, I'd let it sit in the secondary for a longer period of time. If it gets worse; it's bad and should be dumped. Reason I wouldn't bother bottling it is because of the work involved. If you keg, go that route and let it sit a while.

If I added fruit to the secondary, would that possibly help mask any bad taste? I was able to drink my sample, so its not horrible, but it should taste sweeter then it does which has me worried . .. .

I personally wouldn't add fruit as if it really is contaminated it probably will shine through the fruit as well. Then you just wasted some fruit too... What kind of beer is it?

I'm so pissed off however in having two batches of my favorite porter go bad in a row I might not be the best to provide advice. Just my opinion.

Wait three weeks & check it. My Old Dog Brown was sour at two weeks and fine at four.

My wife and buddy both said it smelled like beer, but I am still a little paranoid, so . . .
I cut up about 10 peaches, boiled them for about an hour in 2 cups of water (which basically turned them into baby food), and added that to my secondary. I figure it will either help mask any sour taste, and worst case I got good experience adding fruit to the secondary. Should also push the final alcohol of this brew over 7%, which means I'll be drinking it alone if it doesnt mellow out!!

I've read that the longer it conditions, the more the sour taste will dissapate .. . should I condition it in my secondary longer, or use the standard 1-2-3 method but give it a little longer in the bottles .. . thanks for your help!!

Latest posts

Back